Virtual PC XP to run Step 7

sculliesfox

Has anyone tried to run Siemens step 7 in a virtual PC? We do not do a lot of Siemens programming and typically I have a dual boot system because Siemens and Rockwell don’t always play nice with each other on the same machine. The problem with dual boot is that I don’t have all my basic programs such as office and email. I have a Dell D830 with a T9300 2.5ghz core 2 and 4 gig of ram running XP pro.

If anyone has tried this, or has another idea, I would like to hear from you and see what I can do.

Thanks,
Eric J Hohman
2-B ?
----+----] [----+------------( )----
| |
| 2-B |
+----]/[----+

i havent tried it myself but ive seen Step7 on virtual pc and that is prob a good idea if you have different programs

I use VMware and use it with various programming software, including STEP7.
Ethernet and the PC Adapter USB plays well with VMware.
CP5511, CP5512, CP5611, CP5621 does not.

It has been discussed before. Use the search function.

I have a Panasonic tough book running windoze 7. I use the Windows XP mode. It works OK slower than if not in a virtual world. You have to attach the drivers manually right click attach lets say USB mpi converter.
After installed you don't even have to run the windoze XP mode. just run it straight from windoze. I like it because I have some older programs written with Protools not winCC so the XP compatibility is a must.

HI.
i work with VPC but i dont conect to plc SIMATIC manager work well in VPC. i think u dont have any problem with that.in vpc u can configure serial port + ethernet + usb then i think u can use pc adaptor to connect the siemens device.

We are in the same situation. I use Virtual PC with XP for Step7. I connect with either serial or enet and don't have any problems. Virtual PC won't support USB for XP which may be a concern for you. Virtual PC for Windows 7 however does support USB. If USB is a concern for you then as mentioned in the previous post, VMWare will support USB in an XP environment.