AccessDB Lockup

dphilps

I am using the RSview32 VBA to write to a Access table. Works
great for me, however no one else can open it on the network.
Here is the code for opening and closing the DB.
Opening and writing is not a problem, for some reason i am
restricting for other users.
Any suggestions??

Set objConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConnection.ConnectionString = strConnectionString
objConnection.Open
Set objCommand = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
With objCommand
.ActiveConnection = objConnection
.CommandText = strSQL
End With
objCommand.Execute
Set objCommand = Nothing
objConnection.Close
Set objConnection = Nothing

Dump Access.
Install MSSQL Server, or at the very least MySQL.
MSSQL Server Express edition is free. MySQL is free, but can possibly require a license depending on usage.

Access is fine for holiday card mailing lists, and nothing else.

I can't much help then. Access is not a well-behaved back end for multiple user access. Check permissions and such, and make sure that your writes to the database close and destroy the connection as soon as possible.

Table locks will still be an issue, and result in loss of data though. If they just want Access for the front end, you can use links to SQL tables, but it sounds like that isn't going to work either.

Sorry. I have one system running with Access as a back end, and it is a penultimate disaster. I spend more time trying to protect those tables from corruption and ANY external access then I care to think about. I'm pushing hard here to scrap the whole system, and start over with something real, but it's too vital for production now.