Servo Control with CX-One

Bobbias

So as a project when I've got nothing else to do at work, I've been trying to get an Omron servo motor up and running. I've got the motion controller, PLC, drive, and motor all hooked up, powered, etc. and a simple program written in CX-Motion-MCH for it. I even got online with the controller, but I'm not sure what I've got to do to actually run my program.

How exactly do I interface with the controller through the PLC?

EDIT: Oh, and I'm not very familiar with Omron PLCs. I'm still learning how the addressing/memory system works (Though I've gomt some basic working code already)

Last edited:
when you select your processor got the I/O table depending on what rack you have this on slect your model of motion controller under motion controllers also assign it a unit number. Make sure that unit number is reflecred on the motion controller. I've never worked on one so probably will not be able to help you further however I remembered seeing that part lol

Last edited:
I've got the IO table set out properly in CX-Programmer. I'm just not sure what sort of instructions I need to send/how to send them to the motion controller to tell it to execute the code I've given it.

I made a really simple program in CX-Motion-MCH and have transferred it to the controller (A CJ1W-MCH71), without an trouble, but this is the first time I've worked with an omron PLC. I've worked a bit with AB stuff, but I am just a co-op student, and I haven't even actually taken my first PLc course yet, lol.

That I can't help you on Like I said I've had no reason to look into that end of it. What I would highly recommend however is that yuo go to the Omron website download the User manual for you Motion controller. In that manual you will find the types of commands used addressing rules programming of he unit itself etc.

Yeah, I'll do that when I get home. The computer at work is so full of stuff I can't download anything that large, lol. (I'm serious, it has something like, 13MB free, lol)

Thats really hard on virtual memory you may want to free up room virtual memory requires approximately 2.5 times the amount of ram to run optimal

Well, it's a work computer, so it's not really mine, and I don't really have the authority to do much with it. I do close extra programs to get more ram.

So, does anyone have any idea which manual this might be in? I've got a bunch of them and haven't seen anything so far... Omron seems to like not mentioning helpful things in their documentation.

Alright, so I'm closer to figuring out what I'm doing. If I go into monitor mode in CX-Motion-MCH I can use the debug commands to start my motion program. Too bad that when I tell it to do stuff, it crashes out and gives me various errors.

When I'm in monitor mode, I get 2 errors right now, that I believe are triggered by the DWELL command (specifically "DWELL T1000;").

I've got 2 errors
Task: 1: 2008
Axis: J01: 3007

I'm not even sure what manual to be looking for these in, can anyone shed some light on this for me?

EDIT: Found them in the MCH71 programming manual. The servo received a command when the axis is off, and the other code is that "an alarm has occoured in an axis controlled by a task."

Last edited:
I never use the Mch71 and I just start something like you but I use the NCF71.

The first thing I have to do is to establish the communication between the PLC and the drive by turning the connect bit On (1501.00...depends on the unit number). So this start the Mechatrolink network between the plc and the drive.

I don't know if you got something like this on the MCH71

What drive you got?

Thanks a lot for the reply, I was beginning to think that nobody here was really paying attention to this, lol.

I've managed to get the servo moving by going online in CX-Moation-MCH and going into monitor mode, and forcing the program to run. I've run into various issues, like the origin being way out beyond where the actual motion range is, but at least I've got it moving.

As far as I can tell, the MCH71 also uses the 1500 range for it's bits, but I haven't seen anywhere describing those bits, and what they do.

The model drive and servo I'm controlling are: R88D-WN01L-ML2 and R88M-W10030H-S1

Like I said, it's my first time working with Omron software, so I'm learning a lot about it as I do this. It doesn't help that half the time whe I download the manual PDFs, my acrobat reader tells me they're damaged (which could be because I'm using 5.0 on this beast of a computer, and have no room to even download the update).

I see a problem with your setup...Your Drive is a 100V and the motor a 200V. The letter "L" and "H" determine the voltage and the encoder.

For the PDF, It might be some problem with the japanesse character...you'll need the update for that.

Actually, I checked the voltages to see if they were compatible before I started. The input voltage for the drive is 100V, household voltage, but the output is rated at 0-230V, and the servo runs off 200V, so the drive can supply the servo with the right voltage. And it's mentioned that that particular combination of servo and drive will work in some omron data sheets.

As for the issue with PDFs, well, the acrobat reader on here is old as hell (verson 5.0) and the computer is so full I can't update it, so I figure it's likely just because my acrobat is so old. It is an inconveniance at times though.

PDFs are actually designed to be able to display any language without needing those fonts and such installed on your computer (they are usually inside the PDF actually.)

I've now got the drive moving, got 2 proxies set up for overtravel and such, and I'm working on figuring out the communications between the PLC and the driver. I've got a thread on mrplc.com detailing with I've got so far: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=19387

So, for now I've made some improvements, but I've got a problem in my ladder logic.

My Rung 2 doesn't seem to want to compile, but from what I can tell, there's wnothing wrong with it.

cannot open the file either print it to a PDF file or repost to print use a utility such as pdf995.exe you can google this to get a link and its free. it will ask you to down;load the printer emulation file as well