They want it all.

The company I am working for wants to cut the down time. They do not pay very well for starting maintenance people; around $12.00 per hour that will go up in pay when the person proves themselves. The top pay is around $19.00 for mechanics and is suppose to be $25.00 for maintenance techs which no one is at this level but only in the $20.00 range. I am good with trouble shooting electrical and can program PLCs in which I have written a program for one of our machines that is working very well in production. They decided that all maintenance people will get a review on their strengths and weaknesses every 3 months. My supervisor told me that I need to be more aggressive on the mechanical repairs which is no problem because I have been in this field for over 17 years. There has been many times I have been asked for help when they are having a electrical or PLC issue on 2nd shift where I have came in to help them get the line going again on my days off. I just felt like my supervisor slapped me in the face by telling me that mechanical skills were more important than electrical and PLC skills. The thing is; they do not call people in for a mechanical problem, but do call me in for electrical problems. I think maybe it’s just a case of upper management complaining about down time and **** rolling down hill. The down time is about the same as it has always been; nothing major. I just feel if this company starts getting on the maintenance crews too much, people will start working else ware. This company wants people that can do it all; good in electrical, electronic, PLC, welding and mechanical. If I am correct, most companies have separate departments for electronics, electrical and mechanical. I am proud of my electronic/electrical skills and going to school for an Associate degree in which this company pays 90 percent of class cost and 50 percent of books so I am not going to leave this job with such a good benefit while I am going to school. I have about 3 more years of going to school part time. I would like some feedback on this; let me know what you all think of all this.o_O

I forgot to mention that my supervisor is not good with electrical or electronics at all and depends on me to get things going again. We are not sure why the company put him in this position other than he is suppose to have good people skills. We have tried to hire people that are suppose to have good electrical skills, but they quite because they want to just do electrical and electronics. I would like some feedback on what you all think or maybe you have had or having a similar experience.

Last edited:
I think either:

1) Your employer fully understands their bargaining position
or
2) You manager knows your personality and is playing an old management trick on you.

Given the current economic environment most companies understand that they can push a little harder on their people than they could 2-3 years ago. Where are you going to go? If there were greener pastures you would currently be grazing in them. Something is compelling you to stay. Your employer can see that just as easily as I can and they are using that to their advantage. For an outsider loookingin this is about the point that you and your employer start playing a game of 'Chicken' and see who swerves first. If you are confident in your abilities you could come back and say 'Fine; I'll do mechanical stuff but no more coming in on second shift' and see what they say. But this is your life. Only you know the consequences of your employer point toward the door if they don't blink.

The othe possibility is your manager may be trying to make you a little ruffled just to see if he can get a little something extra out of you. Generally speaking, going to a 3 month review cycle looks to me like a gimmick to keep everyone on their toes at all times. It's easy to temember if someone is slacking over a three month period. Has anyone said what the results of the reviews will be?

In either case it looks to me like your employer knows they can get away with pushing a little bit and it won't hurt them any.

Keith

I agree with you Keith. My maintenance manager told me I was one of the top 3 workers and my supervisor had to give me something to improve on. My supervisor told me there were too many positive things to go over, so he just went over the things I need to work on. I am sure that they will see more harm than good of ridding people too hard because it is hard to find people to work in this place; especially when they are only going to pay $12.00 starting out. Most people are not going to quite a job where they are making about $14 or $15 an hour to take a chance on making more money if they do a good job and start at $12.00. At least I would not want to take that chance. The main reason I am staying is because of the education benefit they have. The money is paid to the school up front; I just have to pay 10 percent of tuition and half the book cost and just keep a C or better average in which I am getting As so far. I will just play along with their game and let them find fault with someone else. Again thank you very much for your input Keith.

Hi there Maintenance Man... don't let them get to you!

You are correct - they do want it all. They want you to be their bionic man. You are to be as versatile as a swiss-army knife. The problem is you care too much and your employers are too up-their-own to acknowledge it properly.

You can do all they want but you must do it at your pace, don't cut corners or rush to meet their deadlines or targets as you may end up injured, exhausted or stressed. You have one pair of hands. You only need to be in work for your agreed duration... not staying over to the following shift or going in on your rest days. Do only what is required to fulfill the requirements of the role. No more. If they don't appreciate that you go above and beyond the call of duty then let them feel it when it stops. You don't miss it til it's gone.

As for your supervisor: I'm sure his boss is breathing down his neck with unrealistic demands, and as you say, that stuff rolls down hill. I remember a past saying of "Those that can't, Manage" and "If you're irreplacable you'll never get promoted", he was obviously replacable! Another thing, perhaps he feels so insecure by your skills, knowledge and commitment that he resents your being and gets a little picky.

You could try being his best friend, help him do a fantastic job in which he gets promoted further away from you!

It's all good fun. Just remember; at the end of the day, is the products you are producing really going to make a difference to the world? I'm sure your health and wellbeing far outweighs!

(I really hope you don't make life-changing medicines!)

Chin up, man.

s.f

Last edited:
As far as most companies having seperate departments, as in the electronic, electrical, welding, and mechanical... All companies want all maintenance people to do it all. The amount of equipment determines how much they can spread out their work force. Companies with a "bunch" of PLCs(.net) will hire PLC techs, where as smaller companies will want multi-craft techs. Larger companies will typically have a union, so expect to work off-shift until you gain seniority.

Even though my prior employer paid for my education, I opted to pay for it myself, due to the fine print that stated I would need to pay back any money if I left the company within three years of taking the class. This allowed me to move on without any issues. I sincerly don't believe they would have ever come after me for the money, but it eliminated any issues for me when determining my destination. In hindsight, I should of just let them pay...

It sounds like you're frustrated because you are trying to bust your A$$ learning PLCs and they turn around and say "we need more mechanical out of you." That takes time out of your Plc learning. That IS frustrating. Let them know that at your review (if it seems like the right thing to say at the time of the review...).

Also keep in mind, once you get the big bucks, they'll want EVEN MORE!!!

Sounds like you had a bit of a frustrating day. Some days you get called out and fix something and it's high fives all around. Some days you forget to terminate a wire and your name is mud. It happens. Pace yourself. You're in it for the long run. Next time they call you out, tell them you're busy. Let them see who gets the job done.

Keep up the good work Maintenance Man!

Your first statement said it all "they want it all"
Well dont give it.

It seems to me you are working for people who will not recognize the good and concentrate on the bad ie 999 attaboys gets a gold star and one awshit wipes out the whole batch.

Do only 40 hours if you can manage it. Never volunteer and make damn sure you always have an appointment one half hour after quitting time.

On your next day at home completely disconnect the phone and only connect when YOU want to talk with someone. Dont tell anyone in family you did this - maybe you can get away with that (that will be the supreme challenge)

Dan Bentler

Last edited:
Same BS Different Town

If it helps. Your not alone. The BS you are describing happens everywhere. I had one boss that said he would like me to move closer to work and even showed me some rental properties close to the plant. I told him no, I liked where I lieve and have no desire to be any closer to work. As other have mentioned alot of times you really are not appreicated until you are gone. The last place I left have still not hired a replacement and that was 2 years ago. Basically they are using an outside contractor to keep things running and have stopped all new projects.

Word of advise that I learned the hard way. Draw the line in the sand at the start. Also any time you get a review try and think of it this way. If he has no money to give then he has to find fault. Otherwise the conversation would go "Hey great job but no money"

Also if you are "the man" then you will always be "the man". Look at it from their perspective. If they promote you then who will do your job? If you quit then they can use that as an excuse until they find a replacement. So working you till you quit is their best option.

this is my thought. the supervisor cant just put perfect. He probably has a criteria that he has to meet with the performance reviews. if raises are tied to the performance reviews, its likely that he was only allocated a certain amount and has had to split it up amongst everyone, with some getting more and some getting less.

I wouldnt sweat it if you believe your compensation is right. also, you admittingly are weak in mechanical, so why not strive to improve so that you can have more experience to carry on with you?

They decided that all maintenance people will get a review on their strengths and weaknesses every 3 months. My supervisor told me that I need to be more aggressive on the mechanical repairs which is no problem because I have been in this field for over 17 years. .o_O

On monday go and see the supervisor and admit to being weak in the areas they identified, then ask them to send you on courses, say in hydraulics and pneumatics to help you get better in those areas, then it becomes there problem if you don't get better because you needed extra training.

These reviews are a two way street.

It encourages them to be more positive in the review process.

I appreciate all the support and good ideas you all have given me. Yesterday I was a little down because I felt like I got a slap in the face. I am proud of my PLC, electrical and electronic skills which is my real passion. I can do the mechanical things without any trouble. It just got me down a little to have my foreman tell me that mechanical was more important than PLCs, electrical and electronic. This is all fine and dandy until they need a program change or someone to get the equipment going again. I am just going to keep a positive attitude, do the best job I can and keep getting good grades in school because down the road it will pay off in the long run. Again, I would like to thank you all for your great responses and help.
Sincerely:
Maintenance Man

words to live by ...

from Maintenance Man ...

I am just going to keep a positive attitude, do the best job I can and keep getting good grades in school because down the road it will pay off in the long run.

well said ...

The company I am working for wants to cut the down time. They do not pay very well for starting maintenance people; around $12.00 per hour that will go up in pay when the person proves themselves. The top pay is around $19.00 for mechanics and is suppose to be $25.00 for maintenance techs which no one is at this level but only in the $20.00 range. I am good with trouble shooting electrical and can program PLCs in which I have written a program for one of our machines that is working very well in production. They decided that all maintenance people will get a review on their strengths and weaknesses every 3 months. My supervisor told me that I need to be more aggressive on the mechanical repairs which is no problem because I have been in this field for over 17 years. There has been many times I have been asked for help when they are having a electrical or PLC issue on 2nd shift where I have came in to help them get the line going again on my days off. I just felt like my supervisor slapped me in the face by telling me that mechanical skills were more important than electrical and PLC skills. The thing is; they do not call people in for a mechanical problem, but do call me in for electrical problems. I think maybe it’s just a case of upper management complaining about down time and **** rolling down hill. The down time is about the same as it has always been; nothing major. I just feel if this company starts getting on the maintenance crews too much, people will start working else ware. This company wants people that can do it all; good in electrical, electronic, PLC, welding and mechanical. If I am correct, most companies have separate departments for electronics, electrical and mechanical. I am proud of my electronic/electrical skills and going to school for an Associate degree in which this company pays 90 percent of class cost and 50 percent of books so I am not going to leave this job with such a good benefit while I am going to school. I have about 3 more years of going to school part time. I would like some feedback on this; let me know what you all think of all this.o_O

Wow this sounds familiar. I used to call it spinning straw into gold, when they wanted me to build new equipment, or maintain old equipment all without help, and without buying new parts.
Bottom line is most companies will not be held hostage. They have made up there mind about how much they will pay to do your job and they are not going to pay more even if the next guy can't even do it. Your best bet is to start looking for a job that you will be happy at, and stop worrying about trying to make them be fair.
If they figure out that you are not happy you will be worth nothing to them. They will have you training your replacement before you know it.

PcRider

That is messed up. We have seperate electrical and mechanical departments and if its mechanical i just tell them to shove it hehe.
But seriously you should only focus on one area otherwise you cant get flawless at it.

Back
Top Bottom