Hello all, attaching .rss

shawn_75

Hello everyone, I'm new to programming PLCs and hope to learn primarily on my own occasionally with the help of some of you. Right now I have no clear goals set with respect to PLCs but who knows, perhaps I may pursue this as a career. I am starting with RSLogix 500 (free from Allen Bradley, thanks AB!) and a MicroLogix 1000 I found on eBay. I have watched the free videos from PLC bootcamp and will shortly be buying some books after I have searched out the most recommended. I do not yet have a programming cable for the PLC so I cannot test any programs I write. I hope to have a cable in a few days.

My first question is how do I post my .rss files for review? The site will not allow me to upload a .rss.

Thanks,
Shawn

Thanks Bob O,

Here is my first program. Input 0 causes outputs 0 thru 5 to fire sequentially then all turn off three seconds after output 5 fires. Input 1 causes all 6 outputs to fire at once then turn off after three seconds. Hopefully this will only happen once per cycle of the input, no matter how long the input is left on. Since I am doing two different processes with the same outputs, I've added the XIO after the one shot to prevent some strange behavior, ie. if both inputs are on at the same time.

How did I do? I'd bet there is a more graceful way to accomplish what I am trying to do here but this was the most straightforward for me.

Thanks,
Shawn

Hi to All,

Go to File menu in the RS500 application and click the backup project to take the whole project in the pdf format and directly you can able to attach that file into this forum..

Thanks,
Naag

How did I do? I'd bet there is a more graceful way to accomplish what I am trying to do here but this was the most straightforward for me.

Thanks,
Shawn

Hi Shawn. Actually, the program does not do what you intended, but you are very close.

Two basic mistakes:
1) The OSR instruction on rung 0 (and again on rung 9). The OSR instruction needs to be placed after an XIC of the input address, and use an internal storage bit to keep track of its own status. Highlight the OSR instruction and press F1, then carefully read the Help file on it.

2) Nothing unlatches b3/0 and b3/1.

After fixing those two items, it will do what you intended.

Attached is the repaired version.

Paul

OkiePC

Thank you so much for taking a look and fixing my first project. One of the guys at work showed me how to watch the data table as the program runs so as soon as I get my programming cable (any day now the UPS guy should be dropping it off) I'll be able to watch my version fall flat and see how you fixed it.

BTW, thanks for the tip on getting to the specific help item for each instruction. Previously I was searching the contents but not I'm right where I need to be.

Naag, I'm running the free version of Logix 500 and do not have the option under backup project to save it as a .pdf. I'll be using jwrb4gbm's suggestion but will likely get cutepdf.

Thanks all,

Shawn