HORNER XE 102 SmartStix status

rmb550

I am writing a program that will use a 16 Digital out smartstix module that I have given addresses %Q17...%Q32. Can I associate the output points to bits in a single 16-bit word? If so, how do I do that? What I want to do is have an alarm routine that will write the output status to the removable SD card, and I thought it might be easier if the outputs can be characterized as a single number. I guess I might do the same with the inputs too.....
Thanks
rmb

I don't know if the Smartstix make a difference for this or not.

For data logging purposes, you should be able to assign %Q17 as a logged variable with an INT data type. The word will be logged as a single number.

The only 'gotcha' is that when using Boolean registers as a word, you need to start them on a proper word boundary (%Q1, %Q17, %Q33, etc.).

Last edited:
OK that's what I am not understanding ---- I guess I want to set up a 16 bit register - let's say R100 - and have each of Q17 through Q32 represent one unique bit of that register. Then saving R100 would tell me the state of each output.
rmb

You don't have to use a %R register to do that unless you really want to. If you want to use %R100, just do a single word move of %Q17 to %R100.

You don't have to use a %R register to do that unless you really want to. If you want to use %R100, just do a single word move of %Q17 to %R100.
A bit of caution here.
Horner OCS uses the first 32 %Is and %Qs internally.
So %I32 and %Q32 aren't recommended to be used by the end user.
If you read some of the docs you'll find out theuse of the above.
I'd recommend "mapping" your Smartstix with addresses starting above 32.
I always start at %Q65 or so.
You also have to assign I/Os within boundaries.

Last edited:
I am writing a program that will use a 16 Digital out smartstix module that I have given addresses %Q17...%Q32. Can I associate the output points to bits in a single 16-bit word? If so, how do I do that? What I want to do is have an alarm routine that will write the output status to the removable SD card, and I thought it might be easier if the outputs can be characterized as a single number. I guess I might do the same with the inputs too.....
Thanks
rmb
There's a built in alarm handler in cScape.
You assign a block of registers (consecutive) to it.
100 registers will give you options for handlind 100 alarms.
Each register will give you one alarm as well as its status.
One of the register bits is active, another is acknowledged, etc.
When you set up your alarms all you have to do is pick up the trigger bit and the Alarm handler will do the rest for you.

Thanks
rmb
Look at the post above.
The Alarm handler can be captured on the sd.
you can also set up data logging through cScape.
You do not need just numbers and such.
You can also log I/O points directly using a BOOL.