Help gettin me started

simonb

Hello people, I have new PLC kit an I am having a very hard time setting it up to communicate with my PC, wondering if I can get some help.

I have 20 new Allen-Bradley CompactLogix L23E QBFC1B PLC's with 20 boxs of software from Rockwell Automation (11 REV DVD's). Ive setup older PLCs in the past with a some problem, but I did figure i out.

I install RSlinx classic 2.55.00 (from the DVD) and then install Factory talk Activation (not even sure i need it at this point just to connect to he PLC). When i install a driver (rs-232 DF1 devices) and click Auto-Configure, it seems to be able to see th PLC but it errors out when it tests for "Error checking: BCC or CRC" and i returns this error;

"Unable to verify settings due to packet timeout! Check all the cables and configuration and try again"

I then move the cable to my older PLC (AB SLC 5/04 CPU) and click on Auto configure and it picks it up right away.

Can anyone point me in the righ direction?

Is the 32e new or used? someone may have configured the serial port for some strange use... such as ASCII or similar

Have you tried Ethernet?

Thanks for the quick reply. All 20 of them are brand new in a sealed box. When i feed it 24VDC, im not even sure if the unit is properly on. Ill give you a description of the lights.

CPU section; OK light blinking red
HIGH SPEED COUNTER; OK light blinking red
Ethernet; MS blinking red, NS blinking orange
Channel 0; CH 0 blinking green(vairy faint)

So at this point i dont even know if the PLC is stuck in a loop. I tried using the bootp software on the cd and connecting the PC to the PLC and also using a hub in between, no change at all.

What is the full part number?

When you used Bootp were you able to send an IP address?

Do you have a Ethernet switch, most of the time I will just let the switch send the IP address automatically then its on the same subnet and I can just use RSLinx to find it

The full AB part number on the box is 1769-L23E-QBFC1B.

I tried to do the bootp but id doesnt seem to work. Ive never usedethernet for PLC.

Cool.... I have never see one

OK lets forget the Ethernet for now and go back to DF1, new CPU's should not be an issue

What cable are you using?

The pdf file is what im doing. I tried it a couple more times to make sure i didnt skip a step. I also opened another new sealed PLC and tested it with the same results.

The blinking orange Network Status LED concerns me. That LED should be red or green only; if it appears orange it is rapidly cycling between red and green and that's not normal.

Check the incoming power to be sure you have a strong 24V DC; the symptoms you describe could be failure to complete the power-on-self-test routine.

20 new controllers should warrant a courtesy call from your Rockwell Automation office or distributor to help get you started, at least to get set up with Ethernet properly. All Logix-family controllers require a firmware load before you can use them, and that goes a lot faster over Ethernet.

I strongly suggest you don't apply power to any more of the controllers until somebody who is familiar with them gets them to start up.

I think you are right, after talking to teir techs they beleive my power source isnt right. Ill replace and see where i can get from there

I did that, i do have 24V dc but im not sure about the amps. I am stealing the voltage off the older PLC i have, the power supply has an output of 24VDC but im prety sure its not enough amperage.