OT -video camcorder for training session

danw

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an inexpensive webcam, a Logitech QuickCam IM Plus, the little golf ball that clips to the monitor.

I thought I might be able to use it for a training gig, where I wanted to set it up so that it would display the HMI faceplate of an instrument and a digital voltmeter on my laptop screen, which is then connected to a video projector which displays a large image that a group of people can see.

But combination of resolution and focus is awful on this webcam is so bad as to be unuseable for showing printed text settings on the DVM. It's the low res setting, but higher res settings do not improve the quality of the image, only the size.

fvlgfc.jpg

I don't know if it's just the cheap model webcam I have or if that's what all webcams are like.

Any experience or suggestions on webcams?

One thing you might be able to try is to give the webcam some glasses. What I mean is a very low powered magnifying glass. I have used this trick in some macro photography but haven't tried it on a webcam. Let us know if it works.

Or you could get the webcam lasik eye surgery. My wife had that years ago and it did wonders for her eyesight. Seriously, they make HD webcams now that should have the resolution that you need.