Omron on Ethernet I/P and an Allen-Bradley Powerflex drive

dboivin1

I have a problem with CJ1M on ethernet i/p and a PF70.
The communication has been established, with no error, and we are able to control de drive (start and stop, change the speed of the drive), but the words comming from the drive still all at 0 (no status bit or feedback from the drive)

Any info will help

Do you have to program the drive to map status information to its IO scanner?
This is the case with most drives I have used with comms, often there are defaults though.

I think Lost control is correct .
The AB PLC knows by default that an AB powerflex exists and places it in the tree
The Omron PLC needs to be told that a powerflex exists

Last edited:
May i wasnt clear but there is no lost of control, we are able to control the drive.
The wild thing is we got no status bits comming from the drive , everything input words are at 0.

post 2 was by lostcontrol

All drives share a default input and output layout, of I think 2 words of 8 bits, that allows very basic control, say start stop on off run, anything after that requires additional mapping in your PLC that probably includes an EDS file

May i wasnt clear but there is no lost of control, we are able to control the drive.
The wild thing is we got no status bits comming from the drive , everything input words are at 0.

You must have the Instance mapping in the IO scanner in the omron E/IP configurator? Can you post this file so that we can have a look at it?

No need to program the drive we tried with a AB plc and it worled ok
How did you configure it in the AB PLC? Using the generic profile, or a drives profile?
If it was a drives profile, then it would automatically set the profile/assembly based on the EDS files.
Do you have the EDS files in the Omron E/IP configurator?

I have seen this before, and if it is same thing that I ran into, I have a solution.
One optional part of the EtherNet/IP Specification is something called a '32 bit Run / Idle Header' that goes on the front of each data packet. If a device uses this, it is supposed to set the first bit to a '1' if the device is running, and set the bit to a '0' if it is not.
The EIP specification says that the receiving device should consider the data to be 0 if the Run / Idle bit is 0.
AB uses the 32 Bit Run / Idle header, and they specify this in the .eds file. However, the Run / Idle bit is always 0, indicating that the receiving device should pass all '0000' data to the CPU.
A simple change in the .eds file will correct this problem.
Please post the .eds file that you are using, and I can correct this.
The reason that this works just fine with Rockwell PLCs is that in a typical EIP setup in a RA PLC, the Run/ Idle header is simply ignored, making it appear as though the implementation is 'correct'.

Attached is what should be the correct .eds file.
The size that you specify will now need to be 4 bytes larger on the data consumed (input) from the RA Inverter, and the first 4 bytes stored in the PLC(2 Omron PLC Channels) will be invalid data. Essentially we are 'receiving' the 4 byte Run / Idle header, but we do not use it.

Sounds like another RA "catch" similar to their SoClose [SERCOS] motion protocol. They do their darned'st to get involved with writing and specifying a communications protocol up front. Release it as a published Open protocol standard, only to change their implementation of it to work specifically with their products.
UGGGHHHH!

🍑

I just finished an OMRON EtherNet/IP driver to read / write floats and Ints from CJ1 / CJ2 / CS1 / CP1H (using CJ1W-EIP21) to RA CompactLogix, ControlLogix and MicroLogix 1400 on EtherNet/IP.
Another RA mediocre protocol implementation. The PCCC protocol wrapped up inside an EIP packet is not very well documented.
Lots of references to ContolNet documents, DF1 Documents, and even DeviceNet documents. No clear, concise document on PCCC in EIP.

need help

hello,
PMCR I have edited my eds file but i still do no receive any feedback or status.
i edited the numbers under the connection manager. The 0x44244405, to match what you had modified for another member, and it now shows a 0x44240405.

was there another edit you performed?
i have the same issue, i can send a start and stop command and a speed reference. the drive takes off to the setpoint. Before i made changes to the eds file, the only way i could get my eip card happy was to have 4 bytes in and 4 bytes out. I am NOW able to have the original 8 bytes in and 4 bytes out and the eip card is happy but no feedback.