CLICK PLC - Resetting Off Delay Timers?

exxy

Hey all,

I posted here a few months back, and eventually talked my company into letting me research the advantages of using PLCs instead of relays. Someone here showed me the Click! PLC product, and we went with that option.

I dove directly into the programming and I'm loving what I can do so far, but.. I hit a small issue. The Click! PLC programming tool doesn't seem to support resetting an off-delay timer. For my application, resetting this off-delay timer is crucial.

I've looked into possibly setting the current value of the timer to about a second or so before the timer would usually turn off; however, the technician at Click! said I'd have to reset the timer in programming and that's a little complicated.

I also thought about setting an input to set the PLC to STOP then RUN, maybe to reset my timers. Again, technician said that wouldn't be possible.

Can anyone help me think of a work-around for this? I'd really hate to have to purchase another PLC and start this whole process over again just because I can't reset the timer.

My application is more complex, but in a nut-shell this is what I need to do: An NO contact closes, it activates a bell for 10 minutes. A push button in the building is pushed and it turns the bell off early, before the timer is up. Basically, a kill switch that kills the bell short.

If anyone can help me, I'd be VERY appreciative.

Why not just seal in a bit (coil) when the silence button is pressed, and have that bit inhibit the bell output. Let the timer finish timing, and when it times out, unseal the silence bit.

Like, a latching reset for the relay itself? That is unlatched when the timer ends? I have to do this for ~7 different timers all at the same time.

Yeah, basically there's a contact closure that closes when an alarm happens. When this alarm happens several enunciating devices initiate (lights, sirens, bells) those enunciating devices usually time out after certain times. These times are all different based on what part of the building their in, or what they're activation requires. In this situation, the alarm alerts dispatchers and their goal is to leave the facility to go somewhere else; therefor, they usually let the timers run out -- since they vacate the building anyway. However, if they get a cancel call or decide not to respond, I'd like them to be able to reset all of these different timers at once with a push-button.

You can add a rung that resets the alarms, and when all the timers have timed out, unseal the rung. The problem with this is that if another alarm needs to be annunciated during that time, it would be silenced.

Or, perhaps you can use on delay timers. Start the timer when the alarm occurs, and use a branch to keep the timer timing until it is timed out. Then maybe you can reset them in a more normal fashion.

I would try something like this example using ON delay rather than off delay timers. This is what Okie was referring to.

X001 Being whatever triggers the alarm, X002 being the reset PB, Y001 being the alarm bell.

This is assuming X001 is a momentary condition to set the latch.

Alarmexample.jpg

Wow, that's perfect. You both helped me ALOT! It's going to take me a really long time to convert my schematic brain into PLC logic, but it'll happen eventually.

It looks like you're capitalizing on the way the PLC actually reads the rungs. Fantastic.

Thank you both!

That is basically how you did OFF delay timers in the older versions of AD's Directsoft. At one time, there was no off delay timer block.

You can take this basic example and do many, many things with it.

If you know relay logic, then equate this sort of latch in circuit to the way a Start/Stop is done with relay logic.

Same thing, just expanded to use a timer. It could have been done without the C bits as well, but I think they make the logic easier to follow in some instances.

just a question

hi all um Egyptian student at faculty of engineering and my graduated project is about color mixing process
i want to ask a simple question:
if i have off delay timer and this timer activate a certain output now i want to put a stop bush button for emergency this button can stop the output but *the timer will continue working till timing out and at this condition when the process continue there will not be output the another condition is the process continue and the timer still times and at this case there will be output
now i want stop button stop the timer (off delay) and start process from the beginning IS THAT AVAILABLE????

If you want the timer to time out early, copy a value greater than the present into the timer accumulated register, TDx.