Siemens 300 Multi Instance FB

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
What determines if a FB can be used as a multi instance?

According to Berger "Prerequisite is that both the calling function block and the called function block have block version 2, that is, that both have "multiple instance capability"."

What does this mean and how do you check for "block version 2"

I have an old block that will not allow me to use it as a multi and wondering if there is a change I can make or if I have to redo it.

Thanks,
-Joel

I may be able to get to that a little later. I was just wondering if there was a simple answer for why not all FB's can be Multi Instance.

To convert your FB to multi-instance you must first generate the source code for the block.

Remove the line CODE_VERSION1

Re-compile the block.

Code:
FUNCTION_BLOCK FB 1000
TITLE =
VERSION : 0.1
[B]CODE_VERSION1[/B]
BEGIN
NETWORK
TITLE =
END_FUNCTION_BLOCK

I created the source of one of the FB's I was trying to multi use. When inside I couldn't find the "CODE_VERSION 1" line.
So I then right clicked on the FB in simatic manager and went into object properties. Upper right corner says it is "multi use capable" But when I put it into another FB, highlight it, then select edit->block call my option for "Change to multiple instance call" is grayed out.

Any other ideas?

See post#2

Late thought - is the interface empty for the FB you are trying to use ?

Last edited:
I have been trying for a while to get the FB's into a library. Figured out how to create a library, then I copied the FB's in but it keeps on having issues with FC calls being changed to Call/End calls and some other issues. I think I'll just have to leave the FB's with there individual DB's

No the interface is not empty.