GE Fanuc Communications

edwardt

I have a VersaMax Micro 40, a QuickPanel 6" Mono, and a Rx3i on one system.

I can get the Micro 40 to communicate to it's HMI, the QuickPanel, just fine over Modbus TCP, however, when the Rx3i tries to read some memory from the Micro 40 via a commreq and SRTP, the communications are dropped to the QuickPanel temporarily until the commreq is completed.

I am looking for assistance or some pointers on this issue.

A couple of suggestions:
1. On the QuickPanel use the OPC-SRTP driver (1st choice) or the GE-SRTP Native driver (2nd choice), not Modbus TCP to talk to the Micro.
2. Make sure that the Micro 40 and its Ethernet port are at the current Firmware level.
3. Do not forget that the Micro's Ethernet port handles just 4 channels and 1 protocol at a time.

I do not see how it can work at all with two different protocols.

Last edited:
Thank you for the tips.

I am not able to find the OPC-SRTP driver in the list of available OPC drivers. I did configure the GE-SRTP Native driver and set it for access to the IP address of the VersaMax ethernet module.

I am still not able to get it communicate though. Would you happen to know or have a link to the latest firmware downloads?

My settings are as follows:
GE-SRTP Driver Name: Device3
PLC Name: PLC_40M
IP Address: 203.1.1.64
Channel: 2

The variable I'm trying to read from the plc has properties of:
Data Source: PLC Access
Device: Device3
I/O Address: %R00901
Data type: DINT

I'm not sure what i'm missing in getting this to work properly.

For firmware go to the GEIP support web site and search by part number.
Sorry to confuse you, the OPC-SRTP driver is called simply "GE Ethernet"
Exactly what error do you get and where do you see the error?

I'm not getting any error messages. It is just not working. I've checked the network, which I know works. I made sure the latest SRTP firmware is in the ethernet module. I looked at some help sections to make sure I had things set up correct.
I'm sure it's something small I'm missing. i just can't seem to figure it out. Would anyone know of a good manual that would walk me thru the exact set up of my situation? (VersaMax Micro 40 communicate via SRTP to QuickPanel View)

I appreciate the help.

Can you access the PLC with Proficy ME via Ethernet?
If 'yes', it is fine, if 'no' start there and go through setting up that port one more time. For this follow directions in GFK-2436. Once you can use that port with Proficy ME take a look at the QuickPanel. Verify that you have the correct driver installed, again I recommend the OPC GE Ethernet Driver, but the Native GE-SRTP will work also. Use the 'Companion' window in Proficy ME and use the 'F1' key for help on the driver. Also make sure that your variable are pointing to the correct 'Device'.
Once this is done go to the RX3i and set up your COMMREQs for its SRTP communications.

Last edited: