I feel slightly stupid right now (Step 7, S7-300 processor).

Tharon

So, I was reworking a machine that was inherited. Very little documentation and absolutely no comments in the program (just uploaded, without a copy), and it used Step 7, which I had very little knowledge about.

I dissected the program, found out what it was doing, and re-wrote and added to it, filling in the comments and symbols. Once finished, I was very happy with the way the program looked.

I go out to the machine and try to download the program and I cannot. Turns out my addresses were to high (I used some M300+ addresses). Apparently I can only use up to 256? I wish it had told me this before when I was saving my work. I guess it only checks syntax, and not whether or not the addresses are even possible for the chosen processor.

So here I am, lesson learned, re-writing my program. Cursing Step 7 under my breath for not warning me in advance while knowing it's really my fault for not having proper training.

Did you use symbols for the M addresses ? If so generate source code for all your blocks (using symbolic representation), change the M addresses in the symbol table then re-compile. No re-writing required.

Did you use symbols for the M addresses ? If so generate source code for all your blocks (using symbolic representation), change the M addresses in the symbol table then re-compile. No re-writing required.

Ah. Here I already changed the symbol table to represent the new addresses. It's not that much I have to change luckily, just a handful of M addresses sprinkled throughout the program, luckily most of the long stuff I wrote was still in the correct range.

I'll keep that on record though for future reference.