Ethernet question...

shoelesscraig

Ok, I know I need to read up more on how IP addresses work, but for a quick question I know someone on here will know this...

When I add a PLC to our Ethernet network in the plant, I have to use an IP address that is not used and is assigned to me by our administrator. Our address are all 192.168.32.x.

I have a machine that has a bunch of VFD's, and a touchscreen that are all on a self contained Ethernet network. Currently, this machine is not sonnected to our plant system in any way.

If I wanted to add this machine to our network and put the controller on the plant network (using an assigned IP and all that) is there a way to make the other parts of the network (VFDs, touchscreen, etc) invisible to the main plant?? I'm not sure yet how the subnet masks and gateways work, but I was wondering if there was a way to use them to shield the rest of the machine from our main system...so I wouldn't have to have a whole bunch of IP addresses assigned for this 1 machine...

Sorry for the beginner question...I plan on doing some reading soon, but thought ya'll maybe able to help in the meantime.

One way would be to add another Ethernet module to the processor in the new system and assign that module an address within your existing 192.168.32 segment.

Bill

What PLC model are you using? Controllogix is the only one where you can add additional native ethernet ports other than ones using a serial to ethernet converter.

What PLC model are you using? Controllogix is the only one where you can add additional native ethernet ports other than ones using a serial to ethernet converter.
Some of the GE processors allow multiple Ethernet modules also.

For the most flexibility and security, you should consider adding a router. Routers sit between networks and a good router will allow you control over what data flows where and how the machine network appears to the plant network.

One such device is the FL mGuard from Phoenix Contact.
http://www.phoenixcontact.com/automation/32119_47123.htm

it may be overkill for what you want to do but may open up some options that you didn't know existed as well.

<disclaimer I work for a Phoenix Contact distributor>

Ok, I know I need to read up more on how IP addresses work, but for a quick question I know someone on here will know this...

When I add a PLC to our Ethernet network in the plant, I have to use an IP address that is not used and is assigned to me by our administrator. Our address are all 192.168.32.x.

I have a machine that has a bunch of VFD's, and a touchscreen that are all on a self contained Ethernet network. Currently, this machine is not sonnected to our plant system in any way.

If I wanted to add this machine to our network and put the controller on the plant network (using an assigned IP and all that) is there a way to make the other parts of the network (VFDs, touchscreen, etc) invisible to the main plant?? I'm not sure yet how the subnet masks and gateways work, but I was wondering if there was a way to use them to shield the rest of the machine from our main system...so I wouldn't have to have a whole bunch of IP addresses assigned for this 1 machine...

Sorry for the beginner question...I plan on doing some reading soon, but thought ya'll maybe able to help in the meantime.

Its easy using VLANs. Do you have IT department? If they should know how to do it. Basically u need managed router. So that it does not route traffic from VLAN made for industrial network to other subnets.

Thanks for the replies guys. As a matter of fact, it is a Contrologix processor that is being used for this machine. So it sounds like adding another ethernet card may be a good option.

Unless I'm reading something wrong, this is incorrect. If you read on the link below, it specifically says "The 1768-L4x controllers support a maximum of two 1768 communication modules per controller". So it looks like this CompactLogix is capable of 2 ethernet modules as well.

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/407648/7921606/tab3.html

Yes, the CompactLogix L45E Series does support more than one comm module. I neglected to mention that one.