N140:16?

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, newbie with another question, please. For a AB 5/03 I have a GRT instruction with the source being "N140:16". Where is the input for the N: ? I don't know what it means. Thank you for all your support.

Haven't you downloaded the instruction set reference manual and addressing manuals yet? I'm trying to not be facetious, but you really need those manuals. All this is covered in detail there. Read about and understand the file structure of memory. N140:16, N234:0, F240:9, B10:34, T55:233, C179:3, R90:6 are all examples of addresses in files that may exist in one PLC program but not in another. The manual explains the meaning of I,O,S,B,T,C,R,N,F,L,PD,ST, and the meaning of each of the numbers following.

Make sure you get the addressing manual too.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/5000-rm005_-en-p.pdf

The addressing manual is an essential reference for the beginner, but once you know it you probably won't ever need to refer to it again. But hang on to the instruction set reference manual as even experienced programmers refer to it frequently.

That's a good manual for explaining AB data file addressing.
Except for one thing. The manual shows a "$" in front of the addresses
e.g. $N7:0 which the manual calls a "Logical Address Identifier"
That manual is the only place I have ever seen that symbol used with AB data file addresses.
Anybody know why?

a tee-ball I just can NOT resist ...

since it's Allen-Bradley I'm surprised it only has ONE $ ...

seriously ... the screen shot below is from page 2 ...

this book is 15 years old (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I suggest that we let any memories of Interchange Software quietly fade away ...

interchange2.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom