DirectLogic by KOYO

sherman4

Hi !

I am Thinking about using DirectLogic PLCs (by KOYO) for an industrial control application, can anyone recommend these PLCs?.... Any known Pros and Cons about hardware/software issues ?!!

Appreciate some advice.

(Application could use DL06 on Ethernet).

Thanks

I haven't done any projects with ethernet yet, but with that single exception I can recommend the Koyo PLCs wholeheartedly. I have been using them for around ten years, and reliability has been excellent, the programming software is very easy to use and very flexible, and their tech support has always been excellent.

Like any other product I have used, there are a few things I don't like, but overall I have been very satisfied. They are my first choice in PLCs and operator interfaces both for the ease of use and the value.

I tried to use Koyo before few years.I found out it easy to program
But they dont have On Line Edit option. Its somthing I can not except.
May be they change it. In that case it worth to think about that.

Yes the Koyo PLC has a perfectly competent small to mid line controller. It has an especially loyal following largely due to its excellent value for money.

On the other hand you have not really told us much about the scale and type of Industrial Automation application you have in mind, what is the scale of the application, is it all sequential or does it involve substantial analog processing, do you need on-line editing, etc.

The question as it stands is too brief to elicite anything much more than fan mail about the product, either for or against.

Philip
What you mean "excellent value for money", they expensive then Omron
and A-B in smal PLCs (I never checed for unit like SLC).and dont have on line edit.
What other advantege you found?Can you comper between OMRON A-B and KOYO.?

Thanks

ArikBY, in Australia the Koyo's are very competitive in price against the Omrons and AB's etc however I have found support to be an issue and when i compare them to the new Omron CJ1(M) PLC's from Omron and the CX-Prog Software V3.2, Omron will wins.

Dont forget that many of the small AB's dont have online edit either. Online edit is not always available in small controllers. Even if its not available the procedure is basically the same, modify code, stop plc, and download (or upload) depending on brand. The only step that isnt needed is the download/upload thing when online editing is available. Its a couple of clicks....geez. The main problem I have is I forget sometimes that I am in DEBUG mode and try to make changes and they dont work.

AD..ie Koyo offers very competitive pricing for a product that is reliable. I havent dealt with Omron so cant compare pricing but from I have read and learned they offer more features than many and reliable.

The choice is up to the individual involved, as many have stated AD offers a good product overall and carry a line that is capable of fullfilling the needs of many. They are constantly adding to the line to offer more features. They have a website with all prices clearly stated, support that easily accessible, and VERY FAST delivery (which to me is a very good thing). Everything I have ever ordered from them has been delivered within 2 days or so...mostly next day, they are fast.

Dont forget Koyo isnt a new player, they have been around for a long time, just under other company labels...GE, TI, Siemens.

rsdoran said:
...and VERY FAST delivery (which to me is a very good thing). Everything I have ever ordered from them has been delivered within 2 days or so...mostly next day, they are fast.

Well, they ARE in Georgia Ron... ;)

They can probably THROW a package to you... :D

Nonetheless, yes, they have fast delivery... (y)

Regarding online editing. You don't HAVE TO stop the processor to make a change in DirectSOFT. Yes, the processor will pause briefy during a download, but you don't have to switch to stop, download, then switch back to run. You have to keep in mind that it WILL pause, so you may need to stop the MACHINE during a download if a pause in execution will screw stuff up... (n)

Still way faster that offline editing. One nice thing is that data tables don't get downloaded unless you WANT them to... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

Eric

Same Systems can stop for download, some machins may create big mass.
Debuging is much easy with on line edit.
GE 90-30 offer that option Omron(all size of PLCs)A-B except Micro.
and of course Modicon who have "Real on line edit" on MODSOFT.
Even its cost littel bit more that option worth.
If you manufacture machine in line its OK but for costume made on line edits very helpful.
I use Omron and A-B and I pretty happy in this choice.

Sleepy Wombat
Try to use Syswin 3.41 I think Its better then CX programer.

I like the DL06, and the snap on LCD display for $59 USD.

For a micro, my choices are GE Fanuc, Moeller Easy, and DL06, in that order.

I have heard good things about Entertron, but haven't used any yet.

I have seen a few guys get into a lot of trouble with on-line editing. I do utilize it myself on 90-30's. I find GE Fanuc easier to program, but that is what I do most.

I was A-B exclusively for 8 years, but after starting to use Fanuc, I avoid A-B whenever possible due to price and programming headaches. Some of it is the two A-B distributors.

NOTE: I acknowledge that A-B makes good equipment, but I can't justify the additional proce for what I get.

regards.....casey

Another Day,
Another Dollar, TAX not deducted

Last edited:
Eric Nelson said:

Yes, the processor will pause briefy during a download, but you don't have to switch to stop, download, then switch back to run. You have to keep in mind that it WILL pause, so you may need to stop the MACHINE during a download if a pause in execution will screw stuff up... (n)-Eric

56 seconds on the DL06 is what I timed last time I did a "Write" to the PLC. If there is a way to shorten this up, please do tell.

TRy to do it with Ethernet card it suppose to be faster.
I going to purchase Ethernet card when I will find out why the customs
here hold my PLCs for more then 10 days.

It is much faster to update the code using an Ethernet card. I use 250-1s and typically it only takes 10-15 seconds to update a 3000+ step program.