DH-485 Wiring Question

mhuntwork

Good evening everyone,

I have a question about DH-485 wiring. I am working with a SLC5/03 and DH-485 link coupler. The coupler already has two cables at the screw terminal block/connector and I would like to add a third device (Prosoft DH-485 to ethernet/IP bridge)out of necessity.

Despite the A-B and Prosoft manuals, I cannot come up with any real reason that three devices could not be attached together at the block. Daisy chaining is effectively the same as a star configuration under the right cable length scenarios, so what is the problem?

Any experience with "breaking the rules"? I know that the protocol is fairly forgiving, having read of the use of cat5 as transmission medium.

Thanks,
Mike

I assume neither end of the current daisy chain is close. The SLC 5/03 and link coupler are in the middle of the chain. But creating a star instead of continuing as a daisy chain may brein the network down. The inherent time delays are and the type of reflections are critical in the DH485 token passing scheme. We'll see.