RSview Studio trouble

Jorma

Hi, I'm missing everything inside RSVStudio. All the menues are grey, there is no "New" button, all the windows are up but they are all blank.

I have tried reinstalling and repairing but nothing changes

Help would be much appreciated!

Do you have a properly configured LOCAL and/or GLOBAL Factory Talk Directories?
Do you have SE loaded? If yes, can you pull up the Administration Console?

uhm

Yes, the directories are properly configured

Uhm, i don't think SE is running. I've looked throgh all the install CD's and the is nothing about SE there.

Specs;
- XP pro SP2
- Licence for Machine Edition
- RSview v. 4.00
- PanelView Plus 600

🤾

This sounds like what happens to me on a regular basis with 5.10. I usually must shut down Factory Talk View and restart it. Sometimes, I must reboot my PC to get the graphics to operate correctly.

My menus will be blank with a black background. Sometimes, I can get the graphics to appear well enough to navigate to the correct menu choice.

This happens with both Machine Edition and Site Edition Local or Distributed.

Now, if you haven't gotten the software to operate correctly at all with this installation, then you may have an issue with .net framework or the factory talk directory services platform.

Even once you get everything correctly installed, be prepared for frequent problems. Some people report no trouble at all with the software, but I have not had such luck.

Try the following steps below...It worked for me when FT got upset once! (Was from Rockwell Tech Support)...

Re-register the following DLLs, located in the Windows\System32 directory
OLE32.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Msxml.dll
Msxml2.dll
Msxml3.dll
To register a dll you will need to first click:
Start => Run => and type CMD
This will open up a command prompt.
At the command prompt navigate to the c:\windows\system32 directory.
In that directory there should be a regsvr32.exe program. Running this program for each of the .dll files will register the dll.

Type: regsvr32 /s <filename.ext>
After registering all DLL files reboot the PC

Hope it helps.

Rob

So, the kidblueway didn't work
What .net version is RSView Studio compatible with?
I use a flsh drive to transfer .mer

do you have an application open at the time?

are you trying to create a new application when it's greyed out or are you just clicking file. new? or are you trying to open the .mer file?

What is it your trying to do?

I believe I also had the same problem that Okie describes, and my correction for it was to go to add remove programs and uninstall, Microsft net frame works 2.0, and Microsoft net frame works 1.1, and now days you may also find you have Microsoft net frameworks 3.0 and 3.5, to deal with also.
Then do a reinstall of 1.1 and 2.0,
these I think can be found on an RSLinx CD
Ver 3.0 and 3.5 May need to be fond from MS

No guarantees but it seemed to be what cured my issues.

I've been using rsview studio since V3.0 and i can tell you i prefer V4 just for the lack of problems with things like .net packages

I had issues with .net frame work when installing V5 but I have never seen the problem you are having though. it just wouldnt install

Guess I'm not as familiar with the older versions... but I don't believe you can open a .mer file. Thats the runtime file.

The process I use is to backup the file to .apa file.. and restore that on any pc to adjust/rewrite program.

Not sure if above is tru for earlier versions.

Guess I'm not as familiar with the older versions... but I don't believe you can open a .mer file. Thats the runtime file.

The process I use is to backup the file to .apa file.. and restore that on any pc to adjust/rewrite program.

Not sure if above is tru for earlier versions.

He's opening a .MED, but that could be the problem.. You cannot just copy application directories around with FTView Studio.... You MUST back them up from one machine, and then RESTORE them to another, using the "Factory Talk Application Manager" applet. Just copying files works for most things, but Rockwell requires about 23,928 specific entries in multiple directories (some of which are hidden), before it will let you open an application.

Sounds like you've installed Studio, perhaps without the samples, and have not restored your application (Rockwell) properly from a backup, leaving FTStudio ME Lost and Confused.

Try the following steps below...It worked for me when FT got upset once! (Was from Rockwell Tech Support)...

Hope it helps.

Rob
I've used your sugestion to fix all right a problem where the Communication Setup of RSLinx Enterprise (v.5.50) was missing at the Explorer Panel of FTView Studio ME 6.1.
I've re-registered only Msxml.dll, Msxml2.dll and Msxml3.dll (probably only Msxml3.dll would be enough).
At Rockwell's knowledge base site this answer is restricted to those who have a techconnect contract.I wonder why since this problem prevents one to program the sofware.
Thanks a lot