Red Lion G3 - More questions

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Back to playing around with Crimson 3.0 software, with no hardware yet.

I'm trying to import a .L5K file from an existing controller, okay, that works. I can create tags from it (I think).

Now, does the emulator actually work? I cannot seem to read any data from the existing ControlLogix controller.

Protocol: AB L5K Tags, On Ethernet.

Any idea? I'm seriously just getting HMI frustrated here, I'd really love to use the EZAutomation ones, but they (AFAIK) still can't read into UDT tags, so they are out. PanelView Plus' are completely out.

Ron, I can't answer your question about the emulator, but I can offer some encouragement. When I first started working with Crimson 3 (back when it was beta) it was an exercise in frustration and patience. Even after the release I found things that were frustrating - especially coming from Crimson 2. But I can say that it is getting better as I unlearn 2 and become more familiar with 3 I'm starting to view it in a more positive light so don't hang up on it yet, it gets better.

I also have used the EZautomation HMIs. They are easy and simple. But they are also easy and simple, if you know what I mean. I really like the Redlion G3 product and as Crimson 3 matures and I learn it better I think it has a strong future.

In case you didn't know, build 219 is out so if you aren't using it upgrade.

It's Bob, lol... And I did DL build 219.
I just can't get the emulator to actually read anything from the PLC, and I just want to verify that this will actually work.

Unfortunately, there is very poor documentation about the 3.0 software, and virtually none on the emulation function.

The EZAutomation ones are simple, aye, but they are also 98% of what should be in an HMI... Simple, Editable ONLINE (even remotely), inexpensive, and from the units I have here, reliable. The only issue I have with them, is the inability to read UDT tags. Almost all of my programming here is modular, with lots of UDT usage. /sigh.

My apologies. For some reason all these years I've been thinking your first name was Ron. Well, glad you set me straight (someone has to) Cheers. 🍺

I recall for C2 the Ethernet/IP emulator driver did not work (known issue), and I could not get it to work on C3 either. I suspect it doesn't, but only Redlion can tell you for sure. I have asked for a published list of emulator drivers before, but never saw one.

The quick answer is that all protocols that work on the unit (assuming they don't use expansion card hardware) ought to work on the emulator, which is why we don't publish a list. This is distinct from C2, where only certain protocols were supported. I'm getting someone here to confirm that the L5K driver works on the emulator, but in the meantime, did you map the Ethernet port on the emulator to your Ethernet card on your PC? It's under Link/Option in the Emulator settings.

I did some digging in C3 since Mike says it should work. ModbusTCP is working, and with Wireshark I see a glimmer of hope for the AB L5K driver. This driver still doesn't work for me, but perhaps Redlion can help - I see continued TCP SYN packets being sent to my compactlogix at port 4783, which is replying with a RST. I don't have extensive experience with Ethernet/IP, but I have never seen that port used. I thought it was 44818. Could this be the issue?

Hmmmm. 4783 is ByteSwap(44818), so it looks like there's a byte ordering issue somewhere. I know there was a byte order fix applied to the Kadets -- they are little endian like a PC, while the regular G3s are big endian -- but I wonder if it didn't make it to the Emulator. Let me have a look at the SourceSafe logs.

Yep. That's it. The fix was applied, but not rolled-up into the release build. There's a build due out this week or early next, so I'll make sure this one makes it into the release. If anyone really needs this today, let me know, and I'll post a link to a dev build that has the fix.

Way to cool stuff. I was teaching a class today in McAllen, TX and one of the integrators brought in his AB plc having problems with the .L5K driver to the HMI. We discovered a IP setting wrong in RS_5000, then we proceeded to get the Native Tag driver and the L5K driver to work, both in C2 and C3. Needless to say, he was impressed!
Joe_WaZoo

The quick answer is that all protocols that work on the unit (assuming they don't use expansion card hardware) ought to work on the emulator, which is why we don't publish a list. This is distinct from C2, where only certain protocols were supported. I'm getting someone here to confirm that the L5K driver works on the emulator, but in the meantime, did you map the Ethernet port on the emulator to your Ethernet card on your PC? It's under Link/Option in the Emulator settings.

Yep, it's mapped. "Ethernet Port 1" is at least.
Wireshark shows nothing but ping and SYN messages going from the emulator IP to the PLC IP, and ping and RST/ACK responses coming from the PLC IP to the Emulator IP. No data however.

The emulator also locks up on "Update" at "Stopping Runtime Software". Kill that, try again, and I get "Checking Device Model" then fail. The next update will actually download, then back to ping/SYN, but no data shows.

Perhaps, as usual, I'll need to get the actual hardware to try it out, but I'm getting low on time. I'll check with our distributors to see if they have any loaners.

Unfortunately, the L5K, and any the other drivers (EIP Slave and DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP) that require Ethernet/IP will not run in the emulator. Our implementation of the EIP stack will not run on a PC.

Regards,
Dan

Unfortunately, the L5K, and any the other drivers (EIP Slave and DF1 Master via PCCC/EIP) that require Ethernet/IP will not run in the emulator. Our implementation of the EIP stack will not run on a PC.

Regards,
Dan

This is different than what Mike said, but it is what it is. Since all the drivers are not officially supported, can we get a list now - or should we continue to guess?