Connecting to a 1770-KFC through a modem...........

danger_boy

I'm a PLC guy.....I wish I was in one place that l
#)$#@)($WJEHQ@WEY@(*#E$)!#@$()@!

Now that I got my frustrations out.

I am trying to connect onto a Controlnet network remotely through a 1770-KFC1.5 module and a modem.

The modem on the site is a Data-Linc.

I cannot for the life of me see the network. I can do it locally connecting directly onto the KFC with my laptop, but when I connect through my modem, all I see in RSLinx is my workstation and two other nodes (01 and 63 - Both displaying RSLinx Server). I have no clue what these other 2 nodes are. Locally, I can see each of my 12 PLCs and their proper names.....Just like when I hook up with my Controlnet PCMCIA card.

Anyone have any experience with this????? I have come to my wits end and I am about to throw something at the KFC!!!!!

Thanks for any help......

Danny

Please, don't throw anything, I'm quite old and slow and will not be able to get out of the way. Just like the 1770-KFC15.

Is this a dialup modem, or a radio modem ? If it is a dialup modem, what kind of modem are you using at your PC side ?

The first thing that comes to mind is the cable between the modem and the 1770-KFC15. If that same cable works with your PC, then it might not be right for the modem; remember, cables to the PC are typically "null-modem" cables, whereas the modem itself is what swaps Transmit and Receive when it's in the circuit.

I'm not a fan of the 1770-KFC15. It has such lousy bandwidth that I never try to use it with RSNetworx, just with RSLogix 5.

Dial-up modem. The modem on my end is the standard modem that comes with my Toshiba laptop.

I was thinking the cable too.....but I have tried both null modem and the 2-3/3-2 type. Neither is working.

The modem connected to the KFC is a Data-Linc. Do you know if they are very sensitive to line quality?

Thanks for the advice on RSNetworx, I will keep it in mind.

Thanks for the help.

Actually this IS the null modem cable (pins 2 and 3 are crossed to
allow DTE<>DTE communication without phisical modem - jst a cable):
2-3
3-2
5-5
1747-CP3 and 1756-CP3 are null modem cables ("null modem"
means "no modem").
Modem cable (!) is straight (DTE<>DCE):

2-2
3-3
5-5