upgradation from AB to siemens

rizwan1530

Hi Guys
I am basically simatic programmer and at present i have a small project of upgradation from Allen Bradely(PLC-5/20) to siemens 315-2Dp.I dont know any thing abt AB.So
1) first of all i want to upload existing program.which software should i use RXLogix5000,500,or 5??which type of data cable i need to upload program?I have downloaded RXLogix5000 Demo from Rockwell website but i think it doesn't support PLC-5/20....and Also Demo version doesn't support uploading.So where to strt?
2)I have listen from somewhere that RXLogix5 support PLC-5/20 but its dos base..

In end my question is that wht is the easiest way to get that program from PLC.

Thanks in Advance

Ahmed

The easiest way to upload from a PLC-5/20 controller is to use the RS-232 serial port on the front of the controller. The port is a DTE type, so use an Allen-Bradley 1784-CP10 cable or any DB25 -> DB9 null modem cable.

The PLC-5/20 is supported by:
Allen-Bradley 6200-PLC5 software (DOS only)
Rockwell Software AI-5 software (DOS only)
Rockwell Software RSLogix 5 (Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP)

The PLC-5/20 is not supported by RSLogix 500 or RSLogix 5000.

A software license is prohibitively expensive if you are only going to use it once, to upload the program. In addition, an uploaded program will not have any comments or documentation, making it particularly difficult for a person with no experience in the A-B platform to understand and translate the program.

I strongly recommend that you get an integrator or consultant, or Rockwell Automation field service engineer, to upload and print the PLC-5/20 program for you.

If the machine isn't very big or complicated, it may be cheaper/easier just to use the schematics and what you know about the machine and write a new program without even uploading the existing program. I've done similar things going from S7-300 and Mitsubishi PLCs to MicroLogix.

You mentioned it was a small project. I don't know if you meant the machine in general, or what you think the PLC5 to S7-300 conversion will be.

Simple tips on PLC5:
PLC5 programs do not have a hardware configuration. The platform is slot based. Analog inputs and outputs get to the program via Block Transfer Reads & Writes.

PLC 5 uses octal addressing for discrete I-O, where bits 0-7 are the first byte and bits 10-17 are the second byte in a word.

Realizing this will go a long way towards reverse-engineering.

Simple tips on PLC5:
PLC5 programs do not have a hardware configuration. The platform is slot based. Analog inputs and outputs get to the program via Block Transfer Reads & Writes.

PLC 5 uses octal addressing for discrete I-O, where bits 0-7 are the first byte and bits 10-17 are the second byte in a word.

Realizing this will go a long way towards reverse-engineering.

That last line says it all. I can't tell you how many times this has totally confused me before I remembered what was going on.

Hi
Thanks for you all people reply
Can any tell me my from where can i download RSLogix5 to upload program?
Or can any body send the link here or software at my email address([email protected])

Thanks for ur Kind replies

Hello rizwan;
The Rockwell rep in your area is located in Dammam:
A. A. Turki Corporation
P O Box 71831421
Dammam
Saudi Arabia
Tel: +966 3 833 2339
Fax: +966 3 833 9881

Depending on the availablilty of the software and competent PLC5 programmers in their midst, they could possibly do the upload and printout for you; or they would certainly be the best source for information on available integrators in your region that could help you out.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier