Problem during going online of PLC5 through RS232

AB2005

I have arranged a spare PLC5 for our machine which already has PLC5. After receiving, I set the dip switch settings same like the original (working), and tried to go online thorough RS232 cable. In RS Linx, in "configure Driver" when I pressed "Auto Configure" system tried to search but did not detect the PLC (driver AB-DF1). I rechecked the COM port of PC which was COM 2 and in "configure Driver" there was also COM 2.
Please help me out may be I missed some other settings.

Tell us which PLC5 you have PLC5/?? ( trying to connect to)

Tell us what cable you are using. Did this cable work with the working PLC?

the DF1 Autoconfigure feature will "find" just about anything EXCEPT it will NOT change the COM port setting for you ...

we're not sure just what you're saying about the COM port in your first post ... it might help to just go through the entire list of COM ports on your computer and try to Autoconfigure each one of them ...

another idea: is there any chance that the "new" processor already has an existing program in it - and that the existing program has Channel 0 configured for something other than "System" setup? ... if so, powering down the system and pulling the processor's battery for about 60 seconds should clear the channel's configuration - and maybe DF1 will autoconfigure for you then ... WARNING! ... if you need the existing program, do NOT do this step ... it will CLEAR any existing program ...

Also "old" platform PLC5s (5/15, 5/25, etc) do not have a serial port on them. Only DH+ and RIO.

The PLC type is 5/45 (1785-L40E REM Ethernet Processor Module). The type of cable is 1784 CP10.
The processor is connected with HMI through Ethernet cable. Now I want to know that with original processor working with HMI, can I connect RS232 cable with it and then check the com status in RS Linx? I have checked the cable with meter and found the same pin configuration as mentioned in bellow link.
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/td/1784-td032_-en-p.pdf

Greetings AB2005 ...

are you SURE that you have a type 5/45 processor? ... the catalog number that you gave (1785-L40E) looks like a 5/40E type processor instead ...

back in an earlier post, I asked you if there is any chance that the "new" processor already has an existing program in it - and that the existing program has Channel 0 configured for something other than "System" setup? ...

you haven't answered that question ...

I also suggested that if you don't need the existing program then you might try to power down the system and pull the processor's battery for about 60 seconds to clear the channel's configuration - and maybe then DF1 will autoconfigure for you ... again the WARNING! ... if you need the existing program, do NOT do this step ... it will CLEAR any existing program ...

have you tried that step? ...

you said that you set the DIP switches like the original controller – but based on what you've posted, we're not sure that you've actually communicated with the original controller through the Channel 0 port ... double-check the switches shown below ...

if none of this works, please tell us EXACTLY what error message you are getting in RSLinx when you try to do the DF1 Autoconfigure ...

DIPswitches232.JPG

Dear Ron Beaufort,

Thank you very much. My problem has solved. I did following jobs,
1) Sorry, as the PLC is 2nd hand, the word after 5/45 was a little bit scratched. Now after com, the type mentioned in online status is 5/40
2) I connected the cable with original PLC and found com ok with DF1; meant the cable was ok.
3) Rechecked the dip switched settings and found ok.
4) Disconnected the battery from new PLC for 5min and reconnected.
5) Inserted in rack and switched on.
6) Preformed Auto Configuration and found PLC communication in RS linx.
7) Downloaded my program and run the m/c and found every thing ok.

Thanks to every body here for any assistance.

excellent! ...

the most likely reason for these results is that the processor's existing program had the Channel 0 port (25-pin serial connection) reconfigured for something beside a "standard" programming port ... (maybe something like a barcode reader, HMI device, etc.) ... the battery was apparently holding that existing program - which kept the Channel 0 port unavailable to you ...

here's one more thing that might be helpful ... when you powered down and pulled the battery, the Channel 0 port not only went back to its "programming port" setup - it probably also went back to its default setting of 2400 baud ... now that you're communicating with the processor, you can speed that up by going to the Channel Configuration feature and setting the baud rate to 19,200 ... when you do that, you will lose communication - because RSLinx on your computer is still set for the old 2400 baud ... just wait a minute - and then do the DF1 Autoconfigure operation again ... RSLinx should reconnect at the faster baud rate ...

thank you for letting us know how this turned out for you ...

Last edited:
Dear Friends;

I am sorry that one thing left, I want to know if PLC can communicate through DF1 and Ethernet simultaneously in RS Lix?

yes, it can ...

basic idea: go online through DF1 to "Channel Configuration" ... go to the "Channel 2" tab ... turn BootP "Off" (box unchecked) ... set the IP address that you want to use ... and depending on your Ethernet network, you might also need to set the "Subnet Mask" and the "Gateway Address" ...

see if that works for you ...

I connected the RS232 cable (Ethernet cable was already connected and HMI was communicating through it well) and first go online through Ethernet and then AB-DF1 and found ok. It means no problem to communicate simultaneously RS232 and Ethernet.