How to protect a project in RSView32

stevebenson

It may look lame to you, but I have a problem to solve. Im working on a project in RSView32 and I want to protect the application itself, meaning that no option to enter Edit Mode, close project etc. should be available in runtime.

Is there a chance that only an admin could close the project or enter Edit Mode, without closing down the project?.. using a button that is unavailable to regular users ?

Forgive my lack of knowledge and please give me some advices. A step by step instructions for a beginner like me will help.

Thank you for your time

Let users who you need to run run but not edit the project access only RSView runtime. RSView works should only be able to users who are authorized to edit it. The program access permissions are set by Windows, not by RSView.

Thank you, Alaric for replay . The RSView Works is installed along with Runtime and the project is taking some regular data from a simple operator. I need to modify that project so the operator cant close or modify a thing inside app.

So you say that the project should initially be started by RSView Runtime? The operator will still be able to stop the project ?

Thank you

Whether the operator can start/stop the project depends on whether you configure a button to let him do it and whether you enable/disable <CTRL>-<ALT>-<P> access to the project pane. If you do disable <CTRL>-<ALT>-<P> access to the project pane then I strongly recommend you configure a button to exit RSView. You can password protect the button if necessary but I would recommend that you carefully consider that - there are legit times when the operator may need to exit RSView and/or restart windows.

So far so clear. Thank u.
I think that modifying the Display Window not to show any minimize,maximize or close button will do the job. The admin will stop the project by pressing a button (with a ProjectStop action) that is password protected.

My final question is how to password protect the button, without using security codes, if possible.
Thank you

Unless you are good at VBA, I think you'll need to use security codes. I don't know of a good way around it without using VBA. If you use any security codes be sure to make sure you make one for yourself that has full access because once its applied it even affects editing of the screen.

You can apply a security code to any command so you could apply security to ProjectStop. But I think a better way is to create a pop up window that has security on the window. When opening the pop up you'll automatically get a login before it opens. The popup has an Exit RSView and Cancel button.

We don't disable <crtl>-<alt>-<P> access, we just don't tell anyone who doesn't need to know about it. That way when necessary we can get access to runtime commands as well as the command line. By putting security on the popup instead of the ProjectStop command you have a back way around it if necessary - you just run the risk that someone knows about <crtl>-<alt>-<P> access to the project pane.

I ve managed to protect a stop project button by placing an input string next to it, so when a specific string is entered, the protected button hidded by default is shown. I ve created 2 tags: passInputBox and passInputInitial

When the page is loaded in the following tag, a string is set &Set passInputBox "asd" so the button or buttons stays hidden. The visibility option is passInputBox == "realPass"

Do you have a particular objection to using RSView security?

How do you keep an operator who is standing nearby from seeing the string you enter? RSView security displays asterisks * for the password characters as it is entered.

What happens if the password becomes known? With RSView security its easy to add/delete users and change user passwords in runtime. Its very easy to deploy the same security file across multiple projects, all you do is copy it into the project folder, nothing else is needed.

I'm not trying to convince you to use it but I am wondering why you don't when its so easy to use.

By the way, welcome the forum.