Thoughts on Drum Winding System

bestbier

Hi all

I am possibly going to be programming a drum winding system. This is a completely new system to me. I don't have all the details at the moment but here what I know:

2 x drums with cable driven by SEW motors and drives. The cable has to be wound between the 2 drums - when the one drum unwinds the cable the other has to wind up the cable. The distance between the 2 drums can be changed and the speed of the winding must be changable. Possiblity to expand with more sets of motors/drums and cable.

I can use any PLC but will probably go with Beckhoff.

Any ideas on this system will be appreciated. - like how the keep the tension constant.

Thanks
Bestbier

This is a standard requirement in steel/paper/cable industries so I'm sure its well documented.

To keep the tension constant use a loop of cable over a sprung roller with feedback to give you the position of the roller.

I seem to remember you shouldnt have constant tension on the roll but have a tension profile depending on where you are on the roll.

Hi

Thanks for the input.

I have been thinking about it and think the best idea would be to have a big reel that only takes one layer of cable. That eliminates the problem with circumference of the reel getting bigger as it winds up the cable.