Micrologix Webserver

JHarbin

We have a customer who bought a piece of equipment that uses a Micrologix PLC for control. They want to monitor data in the PLC. I haven't seen it, but am told that it is a Micrologix with a built-in webserver. I am telling them that the original programmer would have needed to set up the webserver to display the appropriate data, but so far they haven't contacted him about it. Assuming that the PLC has an appropriate IP address, is anything available "out of the box" on their webserver or does it need to be configured?

I'm not trying to do any programming - I'm not even on site - just trying to help them view their data. Any info would be helpful.

Looks like he 1100 has a built in webserver, I'm not sure about the 1400. I have never used this feature so I'm not sure what setup is required.

You might look through the manual to see what is involved with setting up the webserver for viewing data remotely.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1763-um002_-en-p.pdf

Thanks, but I know that it has a webserver, I wanted to know what was going to be involved in viewing data. I already have the manual and it looks like you can view the data tables. I'm just afraid that the customer won't be able to understand what he is seeing.

I'm just afraid that the customer won't be able to understand what he is seeing.

I think your correct... unless they have know RSLogix 500, but if they only need to know a few tables you should be able to tell them how to find the data

I have used a couple of their web servers (not the mirco) and if these are the same then they would need to look up N7:0, b3:0/0... and know what it is, but may be easy if they (or you) make a chart

EDIT:
Quick test... get them on the phone and ask them to type in the IP address into their web browser and have them tell you with they see :)

Last edited:
Here is an example of what a ML1400 web page looks like. The customer doesn't need to know the data addresses. You can enter a description for the data.

ML1400 Web page.jpg

You can enter a description for the data.

I have not used a 1400 webpage... but does someone have to do this? the OP said he was not on site so the end user will have to open the file (for the first time) and it will have the data table correct or does it load the description with the data table?

I have not used a 1400 webpage... but does someone have to do this? the OP said he was not on site so the end user will have to open the file (for the first time) and it will have the data table correct or does it load the description with the data table?

You have to create a simple web page, in notepad for example, and then import the html code into the project. The code is imported into ascii files.

I think your correct... unless they have know RSLogix 500, but if they only need to know a few tables you should be able to tell them how to find the data

I have used a couple of their web servers (not the mirco) and if these are the same then they would need to look up N7:0, b3:0/0... and know what it is, but may be easy if they (or you) make a chart

EDIT:
Quick test... get them on the phone and ask them to type in the IP address into their web browser and have them tell you with they see :)

I already suggested that they correct the IP address and I'd access it remotely and try to help them out.

I don't think it will give them what they want, but the best thing I can do now is show them rather than continue to tell them.

I need to set up a separate web page to access the data on the PLC. In other words, I plan to have a web page examine a bit and display something based on that bit (like on, or off - or converting integers to display temperature data). Is there a way to access specific bits through the web server? If I want to examine a single bit, or even an entire word, is there a way to do that? I appreciate the embedded web server, but it is not user friendly enough to display "public" viewable data.

I need to set up a separate web page to access the data on the PLC. In other words, I plan to have a web page examine a bit and display something based on that bit (like on, or off - or converting integers to display temperature data). Is there a way to access specific bits through the web server? If I want to examine a single bit, or even an entire word, is there a way to do that? I appreciate the embedded web server, but it is not user friendly enough to display "public" viewable data.

Yes you should be able to do this. Check out Chapter 2 of the Micrologix 1400 Embedded Web Server User Manual.

This is awesome! Does every Micrologix 1400 have this feature?

Would I be able to view an alarm history using user defined websites ?

Thanks.

The manual states which firmware versions have this. As long as you know the data table locations of the alarms you can display them.

Thank you bernie_carlton for your answer.

I really need a help regarding a decision we are about to make. We have a Micro850 at our plant. We need more digital I/O. We were about to shift to Micro870. But I feel we have a good future (integrating to a SCADA, mobile apps and email alerts) if we completely change the controller to Micrologix 1400. Would it be a good decision?

I do also have a fear of AB discontinuing ML 1400 near future as they did to ML 1500. Is that something we should worry about if we go to the ML 1400?

Thank you.