Data-Linc SRM6220 & Modicon

shirkb

I am presently setting up approximately 50 radios (Master, Repeaters, & Remotes) using Data-Linc, SRM6220 Ethernet/Serial radios. While the network is Ethernet, the remote radios will connect via the serial port (Modbus RTU) to existing 984 PLC's. The Master radio will connect Ethernet to a Wonderware HMI system. Has anyone done this? I need to know the cabling for the Radio/PLC link. Also; anyones experience with this would be helpful.

Thanks,

One big gotcha with these radios (ethernet radios) is that they are NOT peer to peer, by that I mean that a slave radio cannot get data from another slave! Dont get burned by that expectation. The master receives traffic and moves it from the radio side across to the ethernet side, it wont "repeat" incoming radio traffic back out as radio traffic to other slaves, and slaves radios can't "hear" each other.

Instead you would need to place a PLC at the Master radio to store data from all the slaves, then a slave could query the data storage at the Master PLC. Just my 2 cents. I've had trouble with PLCs at slave radios and the Producer Consumer method, use of Messages works better. Produce Consume can bring down the network when tied in at a slave site.

Anyone who has more insight to these problems is welcome to chime in, I'd be interested to know more myself (6210/7210 radios)

Last edited: