Profibus Headache

boswellw

Hello All,

I have a problem with an OP77 panel connected to a CP342-5. From the CP we have a run of cable around 600mm long, connecting to an 8-pin Harting connector on the outside of the cabinet to allow for connection of the panel. From the Harting connector we have an 8-core cable around 7m long (not Profi-Bus) running to the panel.

The panel frequently connects/disconnects from the PLC. I have read that the minimum Profibus run between DP devices should be around 1m @ 1.5Mbps. We are running at 187.5 Kbps.

Does the Profibus minimum length only apply to nodes or the interconnections as well?

The thing that strikes me as strange is that we have several of these machines all over the world, and we've never encountered this problem before, whereas now on site we have two with the same issue.

I'm trying to nail down whether our cable lengths could be an issue, or whether we have an issue with shielding, since I don't want to order new cable and connectors until I'm sure that is the problem.

Any one have similar issues?