Need help to find a faster PLC

yanos25

Hi,

I'm working for an OEM and we're using omron CP1H for years now. In our latest machines we found that the scantime was a bit too high. (Even if we tried to optimize the code)

I'm looking to find a PLC in the same price range. (The standalone kind)

In:72
Out:48
Mem: 20ksteps

Thanks for you answers!
Yan

Not sure of the price... but I have been told that the Siemens S7 400 and the Mitsubishi Q are the two fastest on the market

Thanks,

Meanwhile I found the Idec MicroSmart pentra. The FC5A-D***3 seems to be a well rounded PLC. With enough mem and nearly twice the speed of a CP1H.

But I never used Idec PLC and I don't know of anybody that used them.

Hi,

I'm working for an OEM and we're using omron CP1H for years now. In our latest machines we found that the scantime was a bit too high. (Even if we tried to optimize the code)

I'm looking to find a PLC in the same price range. (The standalone kind)

In:72
Out:48
Mem: 20ksteps

Thanks for you answers!
Yan
What scantime values are you talking about?
Do you use function blocks?
With CP1H high-speed capabilities it's surprising that scantime may be an issue at all.

What sort of scan time are you seeing ?
What scan time do you need ?
What do you consider in your program that is the scan time hog ?

As you already use, ( were using omron CP1H for years now ) your words, may be the latest model from Omron would have a speedier processor.

In the Rockwell range the Micrologix 1400 seems to fit the I/O requirements is also among there latest releases of PLC and I am informed it has a speedier processor we have noted that scan time does appear shorter but have not done enough with them to give a % of scan speed improvement.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thank you all for the answers. I was just looking around.

I know Omron a lot and I know for that kind of money I'm using the best Omron PLC.

We're using function blocks with floating point math. This is the scantime hog. We have 13.5ms scantime and I'm looking to be under 7ms.

We don't make motion control with the PLC.

I've done some test and rewrite the function blocks without floating point math and the scantime is now around 5 and 6ms.

The CQ1M's are fairly reliable as well don't know if they are any faster than the CP1H sereies

I doubt that the CQM1's would be even close to the CP1H in processing power!

We're using function blocks with floating point math. This is the scantime hog. We have 13.5ms scantime and I'm looking to be under 7ms.
You must be executing the FB's every scan? Do you need to execute them every scan?

I've done some test and rewrite the function blocks without floating point math and the scantime is now around 5 and 6ms.[/QUOTE]
Interesting but not surprising. Are you doing conversions to/from floats in the FB, or are the types declared as floats already?

I had about 20 structured text scaling FB's in a CJ1, that were all processed every scan, resulting in about 14mS. I re did it, so that only 1 was ever processed each scan, and dropped the cycle time to under 4mS, still using Floating point math as well.

yeah like I stated I wasn't sure on it and was not really recommending it just stating that they are a good processor for what they do