Necessity of a PLC

S.Tarafdar

S
I know my question is so 'silly'.However,I have a querry.Why should we use a PLC if we can use microcontroller?A microcontroller can do anything we want,so what is the necessity of PLCs?

Thanks.

Can you troubleshoot a microcontroller-based system if you have never studied C programming, but have been a maintenance electrician?

Can you build a microcontroller system to be very robust and reliable in a harsh industrial environment?

If you answer "yes" to these and all the other questions then you've created exactly that: a PLC. Which is to a microcontroller is what a "regular" PC to its processor chip...

Define:
1. microcontroller
2. plc also known as programmable logic controller
3. Embedded processor

IF you wonder WHY then define the terms.

As a parting thought..a plc has a processor, uses rom/ram and is programmed with software that compiles the program into machine language. Most plc's have been developed so they can control many I/O, 4096 in some of the smaller ones, just think what a large one can do. They can work with Analog devices, communicate using different protocols/connections (sometimes at the same time ). The programming formats, especially ladder, are well known and understood by many.

HERE is the main part of this...ALL these items are usually on the shelf and easily available.

Buy a PIC and build us a controller with 4096 I/O count that can also use analog, communicate with CAN, Profibus, Modbus, Ethernet, Serial, etc with software (and make this free, at least cheap) that runs on Windows XP that programs in in ladder, stl, etc, I think ladder would probably be the most wanted still but many like other ways. OH..the components must be easily assembled, maybe a rack type configuration or something along that line.

Let us know the cost and offer HOW it was done.

Lets ask another question:
Why we use PC?
Simple CPU board can do the same things.
Because PCs have universal structure, common interchangeble pars and modules, and most important common software compartable with most PCs - you don't have to know assembler language to use a spreadsheet and if you need a new hard drive - you don't have to buy a custom designed.

Same with PLCs - this IS a microcontroller with common industrial rated parts: various I/O modules, communications and interface.

And most important - developement and debugging language and software understandable by most of users no matter what PLC brand used.

Does PLC have less functionality than a standard microcontroller? Yes
Does PLC have more functionality than average "advace user" needs? Yes

BTW, what will happen if microcontroller builder goes out of business? If PLC maker is gone I just buy another brand PLC.

Last edited:
Same with PLCs - this IS a microcontroller with common industrial rated parts: various I/O modules, communications and interface.

Does PLC have less functionality than a standard microcontroller? Yes

How can it be a microcontroller YET have less functionality than a microcontroller?

Poster..there is your answer. A PLC is a microcontroller designed for industrial applications, it is advanced but has limits.

THE reason WHY is simple...time vs cost. The PLC has been developed with software and modules and is easily understood. As I stated before most of the items for any brand and the software is "on the shelf"..ie easily obtained. Anyone using a PLC can in many cases purchase the components and write a program in a couple of weeks (give or take depending on size of application).

NO development is needed of the hardware or software, just connect I/O, communication and go from there.....simplistic overview but hopefully you get the idea.

Can I ask, have u recently graduated from university ?
One thing to remember as you go though life...
Why reinvent the wheel ?

As rsdoran says
A PLC is a microcontroller designed for industrial applications

If you are still not convinced of the benefits of a PLC then see this thread for further lenghty discussions
PLC v's Micro Controller