RSlogix 500 upgrade

frw312

When trying to upgrade from version 4.5 RsLogix 500 to ver. 8.2 we get a microsoft error message "evironment error" in the send or don't send to microsoft message box.. Is this a microsoft issue or is it rockwell problem? The machine is runnig xp pro service pack 3. They installed the upgrade on another machine and it worked ok. any suggestions? thanks

It is probably not either one. It is an issue that you have this computer somehow configured so that the new version cannot be installed. Do you have Administrator privaleges for the install? Check to see how the other machine is different, or how it is set up differently.

admin rights

That makes sense. However I belive the user has administrator ritghts. When you don't you usally get an error to that effect. This is the typical message box where microsoft says there was an error and you have the choice to send or not send to them, and when you choose one of those it closes and the install is terminated without returning to the instll program menu. I will try to determine what is different between the 2 computers. any sugestions? thanks for the input.

Check to see if RSLinx is running in the background as a "service". That will often result in a non-install. If any part of RSLogix is running, that will keep you from re-installing. Also disable any anti-virus programs.

Another thing to try (as a last resort) is to first un-install RSLogix500 completely. Use a Registry Editor to remove any remaining references on the computer to RSLogix500, then try to install the new version.

resolved

Resolved by finally getting disk fron RA. We had been using the downloaded versoin from the AB web site. The disk from support seemed to do more, after installing factory talk from the cd 500 went in fine and ran. thanks again for the input.