Downloading Panelview App from XP laptop

JohnDruzianic

I want top download a Panelview app into a Panelview 550.
My laptop uses XP service pack 3. I can not step back to Service pack 2.
Am using Panelbuilder 32 ver 3,83. RSLinx Classic version 2.56.
Panelview is 550: Cat 2711 T5A5L1. It has a DB9 serial port (nothing else) which is labelled RS232 but the only possible comms is DH485, not DF1.
1747 PIC driver does not work with XP service pack 3.
I have a third party (PROLIFIC) usb to RS232 cable converter. It is no use, RSLinx cannot see the Panelview. Can anybody recommend a usb to RS232 cable converter that actually works.....does Rockwell's 1747 UIC do the business ?

Use a PCMCIA memory card to make things very simple and bulletproof. Just save the PB32 file, but in the save dialog box, change the file type to .pva (Panelview Terminal).

Then drag and drop it onto your ATA style flash memory card.

If you cannot come up with a PCMCIA slot or an ATA style flash memory card, then you must use a REAL serial port. If you have a real serial port, look for the link to roll back the serenum.sys driver in SP3 to the one found in SP2. Then, you can use cable p/n 2711-NC13 or equivalent, and the PIC driver to talk to it.

A third method, would be to connect it to its DH485 network, and find a device on that network which allows passthough downloading and can be accessed through a different channel.

The memory card method is the easiest, fastest, and most reliable, no matter what Willie Gates and Rockwell decide to do to us next year.