Could do with some help with slc500 backplane

Hi all,
I am a retired PLC engineer living in Spain.
I have an Slc504 controlling virtually everything in my house, alarm system, exterior lighting, swimming pool etc.
Recently the P2 power supply failed and replacement is out of the question due to cost. I want to use a surplus desktop computer power supply which is rated higher than the P2 both on the 24vdc and the 5vdc. Can anyone out there tell me what the pin connections are to the backplane so that I can hook this up?

Many Thanks

Bill

Hi,

I see that you've been looking for this information since your last post in March. I can't tell you the answer, but have you tried looking for a PSU on eBay?

They come and go, but I picked one up for under 20 UKP a few months ago - it might be worth having a search there if you can wait a little while longer or don't get any answer to your question,

regards
Dave

there are 16 pins between the power supply and the backplane ... smart money says there's a lot more going on there than just 24 and 5VDC ...

have you thought about going this route? ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLEN-BRADLEY-1...t=BI_Control_Systems_PLCs&hash=item439f483a0c

to answer your specific question: Allen-Bradley usually (well, actually "never" as far as I know) makes schematics like the one you're asking for publicly available ... I know for a fact that the power supply on a PLC-5 system "communicates" with the processor over the chassis backplane ... I'd be very surprised if the SLC platform isn't communicating too - over some of those "extra" pins ... I'll bet SERIOUS money that you're not going to be able to get anything other than an Allen-Bradly power supply to work reliably in your system ...

Last edited:
Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Ron, there are indeed 16 pins however if you look at the power supply circuit board there an awful lot of them that are jumpered together across the back of the socket.
I worked exclusively with Allen-Bradley products in my 30 years as an engineer and I agree totally with what you say about 'guarded information'. I just thought ( hoped ) that someone on this forum may have been into repairing AB equipment and would have this info to hand.

Best Regards

Bill

well, I wish you the best of luck with it ... if you DO get it to work, please come back and let us know the details ... that would be interesting information - and possibly useful for someone else down the road ...