Finding IP Address of 10-base 2 Control Net

TimD

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a tough situation. Recently, a computer crashed at a site. The computer had ProcessLogix 300.1 and RSLinx OEM 2.1 on it, among other software. Fortunately, they had a backup tape, and all the original disks, so putting a new hard drive in, and reinstalling, and getting the screens was not an issue. The code lies inside a redundant Logix 5500 processor, so we are OK there as well.

I can't connect the computer to the 10-base 2 network because I do not know the former IP address structure. I figured, If I found out the IP of the PLC, then I can address the NT workstation appropriately, and set up a ControlNet Gateway to Linx.

I am fortunate to have Logix 500 and 5000 on my laptop, as well as a DF1 cable, however, I cannot ascertain inside my RSLinx what the IP address of the Control Net is, although I can browse the network via DF1 in Linx.

Do you have any tips, tricks, etc on how to get the IP from ControlNet? I do not have any ControlNet software on my laptop and the Firmware of the PLC is 4.x, Logix500 is 17.x and I do not know how to connect without upgrading the firmware, which I will not do.

Thanks All, I hope I described the problem clear enough.

Sorry, but ControlNet has nothing to do with 10-Base2 Ethernet. When you browse through the rack backplane over DF-1 to ControlNet you should be able to see the addresses in RSWho. Also, ProcessLogix has nothing to do with RSLogix 5000. There should be some software on the "engineering" station somewhere on the network for configuring the controller. It is possible that the control system contains some ControlLogix processors that work in conjunction with the ProcessLogix controller (which is a two slot controller).

In RSWho you should be able to see the controlnet addresses, if not then try right mouse clicking and selecting the device properties. Typically, there should be a network drawing that is part of the system schematics to see much of the information you may be looking for.

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thanks. I ended up using my Rockwell Support contract. (PLCS.net is faster and hassle-free though) You are right on. The problem was even deeper than What I mentioned!

I am now browsing the network happily, although I have NT account, database and HMI issues to solve. It's going to be a long haul. Hello Rockwell at 8AM EST Tomorrow!

I thought there was a tcp/ip address scheme, but it boils down to node and memory addresses.

Thanks for the reply