DVT cameras

lumbee 100

Has anyone out there had any sucess with these DVT cameras..? I have installed several of them in our poduction facility and they seem to be overpriced for the inspection that I'm using them for .I have now purachased a Keyence camera for 2 grand less and I was wandering if anyone is using the new keyence cameras and smarteye system they have . Price wise looks like keyence is the way to go for me.

The only comment I can make is that my company did get rid of all the DVTs across the board a few years ago and standardized on Cognex.

I was not directly involved but I trust my colleagues' judgement...

I recently had our Keyence guy in with a demo of their new CV-2100 cameras and was thoroughly impressed... :cool:

I have used a handful of DVT cameras in the past with no major complaints. They are continuing to improve (and reduce price... The new 510s are under US$2000). The new 500 series cameras are a vast improvement over the old 600 series.

Keyence is inexpensive, and very easy to setup, but I feel that the DVTs have more capabilities. It just takes a bit longer to figure out how to access those capabilities... ;)

One reason why we have had good luck with DVT might be because our DVT rep. just happens to know these cameras inside and out, and has provided excellent support on our projects. Without his help, I may have come to a different conclusion on DVT's products... :confused:

Everyone has their own preferences. We recently quoted a project that involves replacing Cognex cameras with DVTs. This particular customer has not been happy with Cognex.

No matter what camera system is used, lighting is always THE most critical factor!... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. .

I agree with Eric,

Our facility here have about 7 DVT cameras installed, altough I am not directly involved in the setup of this project, what I can see is they are still alive and doing what it is supposed to do for past 3 years.

For a vision system to get its full results out of it, first of all the image grabbed have to be consistent - which directly tell the lighting and lens selection, then how are you analysing the image, is your ROIs properly setup and located due to parts movement. If the magnification is higher does the lens give enough depth of field to capture the image consistently upon movement without being blurred.

So simply it tells, the users familiarity with the vision software makes a lot of difference in the results achieved.

I have one DVT Vision system here. The biggest benefit for me was that it would directly connect to the Control Logix processor using Ethernet IP. Had to do some configuration on both the CLX and the DVT to get them to talk but now that that is over with I sure had a lot less wiring. I do not have anything good to say about the DVT rep. Basically we got sold a system and it was dropped in my lap to figure out how to program. Anyway the DVT has lots of cool tools and if you can get your company to send you to Georgia the school is free. I did not get to go to school but eventually I figured out how to use the system anyway.