Red Lion Crimson 3.0 Problems

ktudor

I have had Crimson 2 installed on my computer (Windows XP VM) for quite some time now working fine. Once installing Crimson 3 I could no longer download to a panel using crimson 2 OR 3. Not only could I not download, but when I plug in my cable from my computer to my G3 HMI , it is as if the computer does not recognize me plugging it in. I know the cable is fine and I know my usb port is fine as all items work fine when downloading with Crimson 2 before 3 is installed.

If I uninstall both 2 and 3, remove remaining pieces of 3 from registry, reinstall 2, and restart computer. I can suddenly download using Crimson 2 again.

I need both Crimson 2 and 3 to exist on my computer but I am not sure if it is possible. I have not tried uninstalling 2 and having only 3... but that wasnt really my priority because I will still be using 2 a lot.

I tried calling Red Lion but the tech support assured me there was no difference between 2 & 3 downloading portion. But I can now repeatedly make the problem occur and go away by installing/un-installing Crimson 3.

HELP??

I wonder if the issue is the Windows XP VM (is this Windows 7 XP Mode?). I have both C2 and C3 installed on three Windows XP machines and on two Windows 7 machines, but have never installed C2 on my Windows XP Mode VMs - just C3.

I know that I ran into a problem when my USB cable was too long, but this only occurred talking to a G315.

Can I just pick up on Jim's question about Windows XP VM? Are you running under Windows 7 in XP mode? Or using some other VM technology?

Have you tried it with another device? What is the status LED doing? I ran into a problem with Crimson 3 when I used it with a DSPLE before it was compatible with those. Red Lion maintains a compatibility page that shows current compatibility with date codes.

My problem was that after the download, the unit would continuously reboot due to a corrupted file (the incompatible Crimson 3 file). I couldn't download a Crimson 2 file to fix it because the unit would reboot before the file transfer. The way I fixed it was to quickly load a totally empty file with Crimson 2 as soon as the reboot was finished. There was just enough time for that to transfer and after that, the unit was cleared and I was able to use Crimson 2 to finish the job.

Uninstall Crimson 3. Then try loading an empty file using Crimson 2 and see if that takes. Definitely check the compatibility listing.

It is possible. I use C2 and C3 on a VM Machine. I can download from either. I am not sure what is causing your issue though. I know though that sometimes when you use USB devices you have to plug and unplug the devices before they are truely running in VM. This happens alot when I use Micro Win.

Sorry all I can tell you is it works. I did not do anything to my VM or to either Crimsion version to get it to work.

I am using VMWare to run my Virtual Machine. Have not had any troubles with it running Crimson 2 or any other programming software. When Crimson 3 is not installed on my VM my usb gets recognized immediately and I am able to download to my G3. Once Crimson 3.0 is installed I cannot even get my usb to recognize being plugged into my G3... let alone download with 2 or 3.

OK. We haven't tested the software under virtualized environments, but I'll make sure we get a copy of VMWare and add that to our list of supported targets. With all the versions of Windows we have to test on, it's starting to get a bit silly, though. We were doing Win2K through Win7, with 64-bit versions when available, but we've just started adding in WS03 and WS08 in both basic and R2 variants. Never mind. All part of the job, I guess.

I run all my PLC software in VMWare including Crimson 2 and 3 on the same machine with no issues. Have you tried cloning your base machine and installing Crimson 3 by itself?
You may need to update your VMware as Version 3 may be too old. I have had some issues with GE software but they tell me that they support VMware Workstation 6.0 or newer.

Thanks Mike.

Generally with VM Ware if it runs on the operating system you have made an image of then it will run on a VM machine.

I do think you will see more and more people using VM Ware though. With so much legacy equipment out there your choice is going to be either carry 3 laptops or run VM Ware.

I currently run 4 VM imagaes

I have a VM machine for Allen Bradly, one for Siemens, one for Omron (my newest), One I use as a desktop, and a Win 98 image.

I have been running C2 on VMWare for several years with no difficulty. I haven't tried C3 yet but I don't expect to have any problems. However, in my VMWare applications, I have never downloaded via USB - only Ethernet.