RSLinx with PIC1747

sanjaymurthy

I am using a PIC1747 (converter) and would like to know what driver do I need to select in RSLinx.
I tried the obvious one listed but could not get it to work.
I need help. Anything will be highly appreciated.

You need the 1747-PIC/ AIC+ device driver.
I assume you've configured the driver and it's not working.If you go to configure drivers whats its status??

Jezz

Thanks Jezz,

When I run diagnostics, there are always 0s.

Also it shows me that the node was found while browsing, but that's a wrong message because when i disconnect the PIC the message still remains the same.

I actually have a A-B SLC 5/05 PLC and also tried using direct communications with a Cat 5 crossover cable from PLC to computer and selected the All Ethernet devices as the driver in RSLinx. It still never finds the PLC - shows an X mark on the device.
Can you help with the Ethernet communications.
Thank you for the help.

Same PLC (5/05). I was trying to get the PLC via PIC to the computer.
Then changed that to direct ethernet.
I am doing all this in the office where I have a PLC(5/05), PIC 1747 and RSLinx OEM. And a computer of course.

Right one problem is that the 5/05 has 2 ways to comunicate with it Ethernet (the top chanel on the 5/05) and the RS232 port just below it a PIC is for comunicating on DH485 only and is no use at all for talking to a 5/05.
What you need to do is connect between the ethernet and your PC with a cross over cable and use the ethernet devices driver,however you must have the IP address of the PLC configured in the driver if you don't know the IP address of the PLC you'll have to use a nulmodem cable on the RS232 Port and for that you'll need the RS-232 DF1 devices driver to configure this use auto configure (I think that's what the default setting for the RS232 port is)

Jezz

Hope this makes sence

See Ken's post he know's best :)

Let me guess... you plugged the RJ-45 type plug from the 1747-PIC into the Ethernet port of the SLC-5/05.

Although the plug fits, Ethernet and DH485 are totally different and incompatible.

Let's take a step backwards and just use an RS-232 cable to connect to the SLC-5/05. Get a 1747-CP3 cable, or an ordinary RS232 cable with a "null modem" adapter attached.

Make sure the 1747-PIC driver has been deleted from RSLinx. In fact, you may wish to reboot your PC to be sure.

Now create an "RS-232 DF1 Full Duplex" driver in RSLinx. Use the Autoconfig button.

If that works, and you can go online using RSLogix 500 software, we can move to the next step of verifying your PC's TCP/IP configuration, the SLC-5/05's TCP/IP configuration, and the configuration of the RSLinx Ethernet driver.

Thanks Jezz and Ken, really really appreciate that.
I have to give you some background on this:
In the office I have a 5/05 and tomorrow the place where I will install the computer has a 5/04 (on a furnace) where they use a PIC1747. So all I was trying to do was to test the RSLinx and PIC1747. When the PIC did not work, I thought of using my own testing 5/05 which I have inhouse. So much for the background.
Now, tomorrow I will be using the PIC 1747 on a 5/04 PLC and that time I am thinking that I will need to use the PIC AIC+ driver and everything should work. PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong.
Tomorrow is the D Day and i'm just trying to get the PC ready.
Please help.
Thanks.

Errr

A you can't talk to a 5/04 with a PIC a 5/04 uses DH+ not DH485..

You'll have to use the RS232 port and a nul modem cable.

If its a 5/03,02 or 01 the PIC will be just fine..

Jezz :)

Unless the 5/04 has a 1747-KE card in which might be the case if thay say they are using a PIC to comunicate.

Last edited:
I'm sorry it is a 5/03. Can you help with how the driver should be configured. Like I told you, I used the obvious but could not be sure that it works.
Also, does RSLinx show the PIC 1747 when its hooked up without the SLC 5/03 on the backend.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Setting up the PIC should be easy I asuming at the moment you have it configured if you open RSLinx Comunications RS Who you should see it there click on the cross next to it and it should show your work station node 00 normally.
You should be ok with the default configuration but you could just check.

The 4 points are:

Comm Port. wichever one your using (You may need to restart you PC to Start the driver)

Baud Rate 19200 is standard(if that doesn't work try 9600)

Station number : 00

Max station number : 31

Jezz