Rslogix 5000 version 17 license

whippee2

Does anyone know where I can get a serial number for this demo I am downloading. I want to use it for my own practice here at home. thanks
I dont want to take out a loan for this either

ye i am downloading the demo from this site, but i want to get a license so i dont have the trial version. can anyone help out.

thanks

I realize you want to have a full license at home for learning, as well as the one at work, but software licenses aren't a casual nicety; they pay the bills for those of us who develop, test, and support the products.

The trial version is free, and the license versions you can purchase from your local Rockwell Automation distributor.

Last edited:
ye i am downloading the demo from this site, but i want to get a license so i dont have the trial version. can anyone help out.

thanks

Are you downloading the demo version from here.

Then any 10 digit number will do.

After 90 days, you might realise that it is not a good idea to bring your work home with you...

thanks all for replies, I see what your saying. there is no easy way to get a full version without buying it for a small fortune. oh well.

thanks

A nice trick you might consider is to use VMware Workstation to create a virtual Windows XP machine. Take a snapshot of the VM before installing the demo. Then install the demo and use it. After the trial expires revert to the snapshot and reinstall the demo. Not the best solution but since there isn't a "student" version, it will work.

Of course you have to have VMware Workstation which is not free although they do have a trial version that can have the trial period extended multiple times.

OG

Another option is to buy the dongle that rockwell sells and lock the activation to the dongle. This will make it portable between work and home.

Be willing to bet at 3AM in the morning when a freak processor glitch strikes in the middle of production (note: this would only happen because you took the activation home), and they can't download the new program because........Or your black lab eats the dongle.
Someone's job just became portable as well.

Be willing to bet at 3AM in the morning when a freak processor glitch strikes in the middle of production (note: this would only happen because you took the activation home), and they can't download the new program because........Or your black lab eats the dongle.

Great reply, was just taking a nice sip of coffee this morning almost chocked on it. Always good to start the day with a smile.

Todster

You have to apply a pinch of common sense to any advice given or recieved. I have no idea how many liscense the OP's company has if just 1 on site then no he should not take it home under any circumstance.

If he has several and one can be made portable then the dongle is one way to do it.

Secondly any buisness worth its salt with production lines ran by a plc should have support for that plc and it associated software. If it's a 24/7 operation then again common sense would tell you that you need a 24/7 support account to resolve issues like you described.

We have over 30 liscense in the pool for maintenance/engineers and yes take home practice and learning. We feel that if a person is willing to devote his personal time to learn a skill that will increase his troubleshooting ability and job performance then the least we can do is supply a liscense.

Situations like you describe happen primarily in companies that try to run thier maintenance dept by the seat of the pants and fail to realize the value of their maintenance dept and invest in it accordingly until they have a situation such as you desribed. Even then some don't learn their lesson.

It is funny hove many companies can't invest in a additional software liscense / laptop/ tools/etc. but they can take the management team out to lunch twice a week,provide company cars,etc.

As my grandfather used to say many just have their priorities mixed up.

A nice trick you might consider is to use VMware Workstation to create a virtual Windows XP machine. Take a snapshot of the VM before installing the demo. Then install the demo and use it. After the trial expires revert to the snapshot and reinstall the demo. Not the best solution but since there isn't a "student" version, it will work.

Of course you have to have VMware Workstation which is not free although they do have a trial version that can have the trial period extended multiple times.

OG

VMware Player software is FREE! With the Player you can open and run an existing Virtual Machine. You can install software, etc. You just cannot make sweeping changes to the Virtual Machine. So if someone can give you a Virtual Machine, you can download the free Player software from VMware's website.

The Trial version does not become a full version by acquisition of a license. It has severe limitations to its functionality, and I can't understand why it only runs for 90 days.

I would have thought it was in RA's favour for the trial period to be longer. IMHO, Trial=Educational, and should have at least 12 months usage, if not indefinate. The more experience someone has with it, the more likely they will want to invest in the full version.

O.t.

Todster
You have to apply a pinch of common sense to any advice given or received. I have no idea how many licenses the OP's company has if just 1 on site then no he should not take it home under any circumstance.

No Ill intended. I don't believe lapse of common sense covers this subject, it is more of a lack of, some readers, considering all the aspects.
Situations like you describe happen primarily in companies that try to run their maintenance dept by the seat of the pants and fail to realize the value of their maintenance dept and invest in it accordingly until they have a situation such as you desribed. Even then some don't learn their lesson.

It is funny hove many companies can't invest in a additional software license / laptop/ tools/etc. but they can take the management team out to lunch twice a week,provide company cars,etc.

As my grandfather used to say many just have their priorities mixed up.
It's all about the visible dollar sign. You probably just described most companies. I've never had the luxury of working for a company that truly saw maintenance as an asset. They are simply a necessity and they give them no more than absolutely required. Try explaining why you need another backup laptop at $8000 a pop, loaded.o_O(couldn't find an emoticon for tap dancing). Now try explaining why they should add another line at a cool 1 million:beerchug:. Typically, an IT policy should prohibit software and recipes from leaving the premises. External P&P storage is prohibited and group policy prevents it's usage. This is a great policy. I have seen too many idiots bring in flash drives from home and infect the entire network. How many people actually log on to their computer at home as a user? Malware gets a free for all because almost everyone uses an admin account because of the extra effort involved with using the "run as". A virus on your computer at home is an inconvenience, at work, it could result in a huge monetary loss due to downtime trying to contain it. Most Anti-virus software (did someone say Symantec?) only gives a false sense of security and wasted MIPS.

As far as Virtual machines go, Virtual PC from Microsoft is free as well. A line can be added to the VM's autoexec.bat that will set the date and time, then call a script that every few minutes will set the date and time until you turn off the VM. The date and time is set automatically from the host so the script is necessary to prevent the program from seeing the true elapsed date and time. You can also go into the settings and configure differencing disks and simply not save changes when you shutdown. You'll should to read the EULA for your program to ensure this is legal and ethical.

Good points

Here maintenance has a private vlan as all other depts do to keep any virus and malware segregated to the vlan it originated from. We also use deep freeze locked images so any virus or malware could be recovered in less than 5 minutes by an administrator.

Our tech have the ability to take software liscenses home becuase it is loaded on their laptops which every tech has and they can take home when off shift.

Myself and a few other engineers have dongles to move between different machines as we need.