WinLC accessible via S7 connection

luccass

Hi guys, have been playing with WinLC / STEP7 the entire day and still don't know the solution.
What I need:

-download s7 code into WinLC (done!)
-have access to WinLC registers from 3rd party SCADA via standard s7 connection

I've got 2 options:
a) SCADA sits on the same PC as WinLC
b) SCADA sits on the other PC, comms is done via ordinary ethernet using ordinary network cards (built-in)

What's needed to sort this out? What driver/protocol is to be used? Have been trying different configurations, drivers, etc., but with no success.
Thanks for your help!

okay here goes:-

if WinLC and SCADA are on same plc; open simatic manager new project and add simatic pc station - this is required as the pc is also the io server, note the simatic station name has to match the computer name. open hardware configuration and add your winlc station to e.g. slot 2, then add your simatic opc server on e.g. slot 1. open station configurator and add winlc on slot 2 then opc server on slot 1 ( to match hw config) save compile and download your hw config.
open up netpro and double click on the OPC server, add a new connection of type internal between the opc and winlc station - note make the opc side the active partner.
save compile and download netpro.

you should have comms between opc server and winlc.

what scada package are you using? as you will need an opc client to poll the server and update your tags.

(y)

Oh yeah and i forgot the second scenario, with the SCADA system on a seperate PC, OPC server will exist on the SCADA station only. The SCADA PC needs simatic OPC server and an s7 connection to winlc.

Thanks Longhorn for your reply.
Just back to work after weekend and ready to try new things out.
The bad news is that I don't want to use OPC. SCADA I'm using at the moment (PVSS) has got all the comms configured as ordinary s7 connection.

I have just installed SIMATIC NET - looks like this is what I need! :)

edit:
I was right. Had to install SIMATIC NET which 'hooked up' my laptop's ordinary ethernet card to SIMATIC system. I was then able to configure IE General module on both Station Configuration and Hardware Config. Next the hardware config was sent to IE Module, Station Config and WinLC using PC Internal (local) connection. When I switched connection to TCP/IP everything was fine as well.

Now SCADA can talk to the 'fake PLC' over ethernet using my laptop's IP address, SCADA installed locally using 'localhost'. No OPC involved, pure S7 driver used :)

Last edited: