PLC controlling a stepper motor?

roxley

All,
I need to assemble a device for my trade that will count down a number array while controlling the rotation and direction of a stepper motor. Does anyone have a program for this or point me in the right direction?
Any help will be much appreciated !
Randy

Controlling a stepper motor direction and rotation is one thing and counting is another thing. Both can be done.
Sorry, reading your post I have no clue what you are trying to accomplish. By telling more of your application, I guess more help will be offered by many.

Regards
_______

More about PLC & stepper motor application

I am a locksmith and safe technician and want to use the device to open combination locks on safes. ITL makes such a device and it's too much for my budget. I thought if I could use one of my idec PLC's and a stepper motor, I could make my own device. I have the proper licenses and credentials to own and operate such a device, just not the money to buy one. The sensitive nature of the subject is why I did not elaborate on my first post. Programming the PLC for the opening procedure is not a problem: it's getting the PLC to run the stepper that I'm having the difficulty with. Thanks for your replys.
roxley

I thought if I could use one of my idec PLC's and a stepper motor,

it's getting the PLC to run the stepper that I'm having the difficulty with.

Stepper motors are a lot like teenagers. If you tell them to do something it may or may not get done, and you will get no feedback on the progress.o_O They also tend to be platform specific. Now that you have identified your choice of Idec, I'm thinking you should try to contact someone proficient in that platform. I see you have already meet Stationmaster in this thread http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=53377&highlight=idec, see if you can get him to help.

You need a stepper motor controller with Step and Direction inputs. The problem is 24DC outputs. Don't know if you can get them down to 5 volts on your IDEC. If you can, here's a cheap one.
The official way is to use one made for PLCs like the SureStep.
Vaughn (milldrone) raises an important point about feedback. Without an encoder, a stepper can get lost. If it binds and misses a step, you don't know it. With proper design, you minimize the chances of this becoming an issue. Mainly, make sure the motor is strong enough. You need a home flag to establish your zero count point.

If programming is your question, use an UP/DOWN counter. Pulse it every time you pulse the motor output. Use home flag to reset it.

Last edited:
you will need two outputs and a separate power source for your stepper motor unless it is 24 volts. (or the same as the idec is.
also good is two relais as interface as the idec cant give enough current for the motor direct.
the relais:\
put the NC contacts both on power source plus
put the NO contacts on minus.
put the middle one on each side of motor.
in PLC.
now switch relais one on
switch relais two on
switch relais one off
switch relais two off.
and so on.
for other direction go from bottom to top.
count every step.
in plc array use WORKNUMBER:=WORKNUMBER+1
if WORKNUMBER=ARRAYNUMBER then STOP
etc
do not use FOR LOOP as the number at the end is wrong.

warning with three numbers ranging from 1 to 100 it gives 1 million of possibilities (the PLC does not get tired.) with every step taking 0.1 second it will need 30 seconds for each combination.it will take 8333 hours max to open safe that is close to one year. Do not go faster as the mass of the lock will overshoot.
more sofisticated is to use a stepper controller. with speedramp, that way you could open the safe in maybe one month.
the bank opens at 10 on monday (oops it is monday 10.30 here)
yes i do know some combinations like 00 00 00 does not need test but it will only be 1000 less.
you also need a motor for the handle same with relais.
if really needed i could help you more no cure no pay.

Wow! Thank you very much to all who replied! I was thinking about using relays to handle a second power supply to run the stepper, I guess its not a bad idea after all.
I also have a Super Vexta 5 phase controller, would that work for what you were suggesting?
Thanks again for the help!

Yes, the Vexta is a very popular controller. Oriental Motor puts their instructions in the catalog.
Don't know your model number. Try the Archive section. I looked at one model. They mention adding a resistor for 24 volt signals. For 10-20 mA, use 1.5K. That will give you about 13 mA.

Last edited: