RSlinx migration fun

Thomas

I am trying to migrate an existing RSlinx 2.43 that has been working on a desktop XP SP2 box for years to a VM with W2K3. The original reached out through a 1756 ENET/A through a logix backplane to a couple of data highways and another subnet on the other side of the gateway. I backed up the rslinx configuration on the working (XP) platform and restored it to the new (W2K3).

Problems encountered:
1. I cannot run rslinx except in W98 compatibility mode. This means that I cannot set it up as a service.
2. I cannot "see" anything wlse on the backplane but the one enet/a card.

I've checked that I have all the right eds files installed.

What have I missed?

Last edited:
Thomas,

we have multiple pc's running W2k pro SP4 with no problems.
I am assuming that your pc with W2K3 means W2K sp3.
If so, you may need to ugrade to service pack 4. several additions were made and drivers were added. You may not have the driver on your pc.

As far as the VM pc part goes, i do not have any experience.

regards,
james

I'm confused a little. What are the:

Host operating system ?
Guest operating system ?
Virtualization Environment (Windows VM, VMWare ?)

You probably have more than one issue going on; I'm not sure what you mean by 'Windows 98 mode'; maybe that's something specific in your VM.

IP networking you can diagnose with normal tools; get PING and TraceRoute working before trying to get RSLinx running.

If it were me, I would manually record all the driver configurations and OPC configurations then manually re-create them on the new OS. I use backup/restore on similar operating systems all the time, but I've never tried to migrate between OS'es using it.

Ken,

I agree that there are two issues.
1. Why won't RSlinx run except in W98 compatibility mode.
The host os is probably Windows Server 2008.
The guest os is Windows Server 2003.
Virtualization enviroment is VMware.
Accessing via RDP.

RSlinx will currently run only in compatibility mode for W98.

I can easily ping the target gateways. The same configuration is running correctly on a desktop XP box. I've also tried manually configuring the drivers and OPC.

From RSLinx v2.43 release notes.

RSLinx is only supported on the following environments:
· Microsoft Windows XP.
· Microsoft Windows 2000.
· Microsoft Windows Me (Millennium Edition).
· Microsoft Windows 98.
· Microsoft Windows NT Version 4.0 (Service Pack 6 or later recommended)

So W2K3 was not officially supported (thus the need for compatibility mode). I would go grab the newest rev of RSLinx (v2.56) which is a free download.

OG

RDP might be the culprit.

The RSLinx Classic GUI won't run if you are not a local console user; if you're logging onto the guest OS via RDP as an ordinary user, or as Administrator but not in "console mode", you can't open the RSLinx GUI to configure it or to launch RSWHo. RSLinx should still be able to run as a service, just "headless".

Try connecting as a local console user, or via RDP with the "MSTSC /Console" runtime argument.

Ken,

Thanks for the "console user" hint. Between that and going to RSLinx v2.54 everything appears to be working.

BTW the VMware host os is VMware's own linux variant.