Need Help Selecting HMI or Panel PC?

james84

hi everyone,

i am currently working on one project where i need to run webclient on HMI to enter data.

we having a scada computer running far from manufacturing plant and connected with plc and now we are going to run third party webclient to collect data from SCADA/PLC network and generate some matrix and give us a result.

now, we need to enter some data in webclient while machine running, we can enter the data using SCADA computer but it is far away from machine. to enter a live data, i am thinking to put New HMI or panel PC near machine so operater can enter live data in web client.

I am confused in choosing between HMI or Panel PC. our application is just need internet Explorer and run webclient through our network.

can any one help me with right choise? also can give me some cheaper option available in market.

thanks.

I have to ask. Who is entering the data now and how are they entering it. Why is the operator entering the data and not the plc? If the plc is ethernet based then you should be able to read it with any DDE/ODBC server and export the data in an Excel sheet. The MicroLogix 1400 can host a very basic web page that can be read via internet explorer as can most products that have embedded web servers. I guess if I knew more about your particular needs I might be able to give mors specific advice.

The SCADA software maybe has a webserver option already.
What SCADA is it ?
What PLC is it ?

Something similar, but not the same as a webserver, is to use a VNC server/client. That would mean the client operates the SCADA PC remotely. Meaning: Two operators cannot monitor two different SCADA pages at the same time.
VNC doesnt cost a thing. I use RealVNC sometimes, which is freeware.

I have to ask. Who is entering the data now and how are they entering it. Why is the operator entering the data and not the plc? If the plc is ethernet based then you should be able to read it with any DDE/ODBC server and export the data in an Excel sheet. The MicroLogix 1400 can host a very basic web page that can be read via internet explorer as can most products that have embedded web servers. I guess if I knew more about your particular needs I might be able to give mors specific advice.

The SCADA software maybe has a webserver option already.
What SCADA is it ?
What PLC is it ?

Something similar, but not the same as a webserver, is to use a VNC server/client. That would mean the client operates the SCADA PC remotely. Meaning: Two operators cannot monitor two different SCADA pages at the same time.
VNC doesnt cost a thing. I use RealVNC sometimes, which is freeware.

thanks guys,

we using control logix 5561 Plc and Citect Scada V.6.

we need another screen/pc because there is another server running in another city and software called AMPLA running on this server. now, this software sense machine on/off with help of SCADA tags generated from plc. then machine operater has to chose right cause for machine shut down from drop down menu which runs on AMPLA web client.

after end of the day AMPLA server calculate all the data and give detailed report which is accessible from any of our branch.

so, i think if we use panel pc then we can run web client on it and allow operator to chose right cause for machine stopage.

if you help me with selection of pc/HMI that would be great.

Your posts are a little confusing as you are using the term webclient relating to several different products ?

I presume you are going to be using the Citect Webclient, i am unfamiliar with the AMPLA webclient so cant comment on that specifically.

If its the Citect Webclient i dont think you have any choice but to go for a panel PC running Windows XP as there is a small install required for the Citect Webclient to run the activex controls etc.

Just choose a panel PC in your price range, there is hundreds of them out there, just get a fanless unit with a SS HDD and you will be fine.