Panelview counter display

paulrae

Hi Everyone
I need some help with a project. It involves counting and displaying the count as a running total number on a panelview 1000 display. The displayed number will need to be reset to 0 at the end of the production run. I would like to password protect this so only a line manager could reset it using the panelview.
I am using a 1747-L541C SLC 500 processor, and a 2711-K10G8 panelview. As the panelview part number indicates, it is connected via DH+.
The items I need to count are passing a photo eye detector, I:6/1 in my logix program. The actual number of items passing this photo eye detector varies with the product being produced at the time. Worst case will be approximately 165 objects per minute over a time span of usually about 6 hours. The time span for the run could possibly stretch out to as long as 12 hours so the total count could possibly be as high as 118800 objects.
My first thoughts were to take the photo eye input and increment an up counter, send the number to an N register and reference the N register in my panelview with a display field , but I found out that there is a number limit with the counter that I will most certainly exceed during most of my production runs.
I have the necessary equipment and have gone on line with the SLC 500 with the ability to see the panelview through RSLinx.
I would greatly appreciate any help, and I apologize for the long winded post.

If the processor supports the 'Long' data type then use that else (and I don't usually recommend this - but give your max value it's ok) use a 'float'. Create a one shot from the occurrence of you input. Use that to add '1' to a float. Provide for a bit from the display which will reset this float to zero. Get the PLC part working before worrying about the Panelview.

Well, I have some lines of logic built that I believe will do the counting but I cannot figure out how to reset the float counter to 0.
Apparently I cannot simply reset F8:0. I get an invalid data type message when I attempt to verify the rung. Being new to this process I am unsure how to fix this.
Rung 5 is B3:0/3.

error.jpg

I do not believe you are using the OSR instruction correctly.

It should be:
XIC I:6/1 followed by OSR B3:0/1
The OSR instruction will be true for one scan when the instructions prior to it goes from False to True.

To reset the "counter" you just MOV 0 into the F8:0 file. The RES instruction is used for Counter and Timer addresses.

Did some changing that I think is what was suggested. At least now the rungs verify.Hopefully the counter will work and be resettable now.

error fix.jpg

Good, now you will just create a numeric display to show the float win no decimal points. And make a momentary button to actuate the bit to clear the value. You're almost there.

Thanks to all who helped out here. I have the prototype / test system workig as desired. All I have to do now is modify the main program file and Panelview file to achieve the desired results.
You guys rock, thanks again

Bernie, just for my learning purposes, why is it that you do not recommend using a float for a situation like this? I know that in certain situations there can be problems with resolution, but in this case it looks like he is simply counting whole numbers without doing much math.

The reason that I ask is because I use this method all the time to keep track of "items produced" and I want to make sure that I am doing it the best way possible. I also use the SLC 500 platform.

Just as a bit of information, this counter has not been reset yet and the total count is over 13 million, that is loaves of bread. whew that is a lot