Program change

2-D-MAX

Hi guys can you help me with this problem,my boss want to change a program from a SLC 500 to a MicroLogix 1500,the program is ok its just the processors we want to switch.never done this before, any advise.

Nothing much to tell. Both of those processors use RSLogix 500 software, so there shouldn't be any program changes needed. I'm not sure if there was any kind of network setup with this SLC, so if there was, you will need to take that into consideration.

Some SLC500 units (the older fixed ones) had onboard I/O (addressed as I:0 and O:0). The Micrologix 1500 has onboard I/O. You will have to compare them for usage.

The fixed ones (DC Input) also had the capability for one high speed counter. You may need to check if this was being used.

So lay out all the I/O and usage from the SLC500 project and compare it to the capabilities of the Micrologix hardware.

If I-O has to change you can make a table with the old on the left, the new on the right. Then use Global search and replace to convert the logic, do one address at a time and frequently save in case you make a typo.

If I-O has to change you can make a table with the old on the left, the new on the right. Then use Global search and replace to convert the logic, do one address at a time and frequently save in case you make a typo.

I agree...but with an emphasis on "frequently save". I cannot tell you how many times I have had to go back to a previous version of a file. Especially since PLC files are very small, saving VERY frequently is GREAT advice. You don't want to be stuck having to redo a bunch of logic that used to be there.

I would start with a IO list. I have seen guys miss one little thing and just then fight anf fight to over come that small detail.
I would like to know what SLC500 you are going from? Does it have any commuinications going on to that PLC? How many I/O cards do you have on that SLC? Are any of them special cards?

Jeff has asked the critical questions, special cards and comms can be significantly different.

Also, the 1500 does not support floating point addresses, its real time clock is different, and any OSR instructions will have to be changed the ONS.

I have ver 8.1 and the micrologix 1500 will allow up to 16 slots of i/o.
typically, slots 1-7 go with the plc base. the remainder are
in expansion chassis.

you must do an i/o power usage chart to see where the base i/o stops, and the expansion starts. this will tell you the number of additional expansion racks and accessories.

regards,
james