Crimson and Terminator I/O Help

sibreld

First let me begin by saying I am very new to PLC programming so if I ask some newbie questions, please work with me. I am currently trying to get either Crimson 2.0 or Crimson 3.0 to work with a Terminator I/O setup from Automation Direct. I have built a HMI setup with Crimson 3.0 and have recently started playing with 2.0. I have everything talking to each other which I have verified via Wireshark. Now the problem. I am catching hell getting the HMI and the PLC linked and mapped together. For right now, I just want to turn a switch on in the HMI emulator and have the PLC react to that. Once I get that I can run with it. I have the following programs which I have tried mulitple different ways. Crimson 2.0 and 3.0. OPCWorx server Configuration tool. Kepware Direct OPC server. Obviously I am missing something. I believe I'm missing the link somewhere in the tag mapping within the OPC server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello, You have stated that everything is talking and verified through wireshark. Which items are talking?

Which PLC are you trying to connect to, and which redlion device do you or will you have?

Thanks
Jeremy

scott.lawrence

In C2 the emulator actually supports most of the built in drivers, but does have a timeout. In C3 the emulator supports all of the drivers and also has a timeout. Its a nice tool to aid in development until the hardware arrives.

Thanks
Jeremy

Success!! Ok, I've finally got it to work. This is the programming I have at this point.
Crimson 2.0 running on the emulator (Future use to be on a G310). OPCWorx for Crimson to Kep Linkmaster to Kepserver. The PLC is a Terminator I/O EBC (T1H-EBC100).
The Linkmaster was the part I was missing. Now that I see it, it makes more sense to me. Now I have to figure out what server to use with Crimson 3.0 so I can try and make that work now.
Jeremy - Thanks for saying that the emulator has a timeout feature. I was about to go crazy trying to figure out why the switches were only on for a split second. Also, thanks for any and all support from Red Lion. I have read alot on this forum and to see the level of factory support for their product on here is amazing. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Isn't the timeout like 20 minutes? Probably not the cause of a split-second bit change. Doesn't the terminator support Modbus/TCP, and if so, that is directly supported by C2 or C3. Why the complex OPC setup? Is it for something else - you shouldn't need OPC at all (unless you are doing something else...).

Isn't the timeout like 20 minutes? Probably not the cause of a split-second bit change. Doesn't the terminator support Modbus/TCP, and if so, that is directly supported by C2 or C3. Why the complex OPC setup? Is it for something else - you shouldn't need OPC at all (unless you are doing something else...).

There must be something else going on - who would make something so simple so complicated if it wasn't.

Now I'm curious - what extra stuff is going on here that he forgot to mention?

You probably won't believe me but nothing else is going on. This is my first adventure into PLC programming so I am trying to figure things out the hard way. The company I work for is looking into creating a PLC controlled subsea hydraulic power unit and they asked me to jump head first into PLC programming. I realize that I probably made things WAY too overly complicated going through fifty different OPC servers. Now I am playing with Modbus TCP and Crimson 3.0 and see that things can be easier. However, one good thing about making things much more difficult than they have to be is that I have learned more about OPC's. So to make a long story short, I have no clue what I'm doing but I am going to learn this stuff one way or another. If anyone has any good books, websites, or any information that would be great to read please let me know. I would be much appreciative. Thanks for all your help.

Sibreld,

Feel free to attend my next FREE Red Lion HMI class in Houston on Thursday July 15th if you would like. The Registration is on the Link below:

http://www.adcreps.com/event_register.aspx?event_id=155&date=7/15/2010%2012:00:00%20AM

We also have a number of local guys in the Houston area that can help you as well. Please feel free to give my office a call and ask for Scott, Kurt, Daryl, or Drew. 1-888-226-9811.

Thanks,
Joe_WaZoo

Success!! I was about to go crazy trying to figure out why the switches were only on for a split second.

I think the issue with the outputs not staying on isn't the emulator, the PLC outputs probably do not allow you to drive them directly. They get a signal to turn on, but then the logic (or lack thereof) in the PLC takes over and they turn back off. Pretty common with most PLCs, you typically would use the HMI to turn on a work bit and logic in the PLC would then turn on the real output.

I think the issue with the outputs not staying on isn't the emulator, the PLC outputs probably do not allow you to drive them directly. They get a signal to turn on, but then the logic (or lack thereof) in the PLC takes over and they turn back off. Pretty common with most PLCs, you typically would use the HMI to turn on a work bit and logic in the PLC would then turn on the real output.

Am I missing something? Terminator I/O isn't a PLC, just remote I/O. The G310 (or Emulator) is just an HMI, albeit with pretty neat programming features. Does the OP actually have a PLC in the mix?

Am I missing something? Terminator I/O isn't a PLC, just remote I/O. The G310 (or Emulator) is just an HMI, albeit with pretty neat programming features. Does the OP actually have a PLC in the mix?

Oh, I'm probably the one missing something. I'm not familiar with the Terminator I/O, I was assuming it was a PLC. In that case, it must be an HMI programming issue, maybe the button set for momentary?

JHarbin is right. There is no PLC in the system. I'm trying to run a remote I/O device with an HMI, no cpu in the mix. Now things are beginning to clear up. I need to stop where I'm at, read some books, learn more about this stuff, or I am going to dig myself into a giant hole.

Joe_Wazoo - Thank you for inviting me to the class. If I am around I will be sure to attend however I will probably be working offshore in July. I work roughly 28 days on, 28 days off. If you can, keep me posted as to any future classes you have. I am very interested in learning more about PLC programming.

Thanks to everyone who helped out the newbie. I look forward to learning more from everyone. Hopefully I'll be a little more informed with my future questions.