Rockwell to Siemens

Viks

Hello everyone,

Would anyone here be kind enough to advice me of the changes and differences which I might come across when using Siemens S5 compared to Rockwell RSLogix 5K and RSLogix 500 softwares. My problem is that I have mostly worked on RSLogix 5K and RsLogix 500 all this time and now we have a machine (second hand) which has a S5 PLC on it. Does anyone know of any valuable resourses on the internet which could be of help to me. I tried to google it without any luck as the S5's are obsolete now. All advice welcome.

TIA,

Hello everyone,

Would anyone here be kind enough to advice me of the changes and differences which I might come across when using Siemens S5 compared to Rockwell RSLogix 5K and RSLogix 500 softwares. My problem is that I have mostly worked on RSLogix 5K and RsLogix 500 all this time and now we have a machine (second hand) which has a S5 PLC on it. Does anyone know of any valuable resourses on the internet which could be of help to me. I tried to google it without any luck as the S5's are obsolete now. All advice welcome.

TIA,

Try the Siemens support site
https://www.automation.siemens.com/...ow.aspx?PageIndex=1&PostID=190456&Language=en

You will need Step 5 software, here is working demo versions that allow you to connect online http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/Downloads_Demos.htm

You will need a PC that has a true serial port and an RS232 <-> Current loop converter. If you cannot source the Siemens converter, Blackbox have one http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detai...owered-Active-or-Passive-Standalone/CL050AĂR3

Any DB25 to DB9 modem cable will connect your PC to the Blackbox convertor, but you will need to make a cable from the 20ma Current loop end to the DB15 connector on the S5 programming port.

I would strongly advise to replace the S5 because from 2012 on Siemens is no longer supporting this product line. And since you're familiar with RSLogix 5k and 500 I would suggest to replace it by an Allen-Bradley product.

The info provided by curlyandshemp will be very useful when trying to translate the program from S5 to Allen-Bradley.

Kind regards,