Dh+ to Ethernet Bridge ... FactoryLink ramifications

Lakee911

I have a client who is running FactoryLink 7.2.1. They have numerous PLC-5 and SLC processors connected to the FactoryLink PC with DH+.

We would like to install a ControlLogix chassis with an Ethernet comm. module and a DH+ Scanner and use this to bridge the DH+ to Ethernet. We would then move the FactoryLink pc to Ethernet.

The entity that would be reconfiguring RSLinx on the FactoryLink PC (to use the new Ethernet DH+ bridge), warned me that I need to make sure I have a "CIP Driver" for FactoryLink. I've searched and I don't think any such animal exists. Besides, if FactoryLink communicates with RSLinx and the changes are made in RSLinx, then nothing changes on FactoryLink. Right?

Thx
Jason

We use PLC5/250 Pyramid Integrators to bridge between our Data Highways and Ethernet for the SCADA network.

Prolly not much help, as there from the 80's. But they work.

P.s. Im sure we use the PI's to do other stuff too, but ive not really touched on them yet (im a trainee).

Even though the original path was pointed to RSLINX Via the DH+ driver, the new gateway would be pointing through the NEW Ethernet card, then to the DH+ networks. (This is how your gateway will be configured)
Based on this change, you will need a seperate newer driver that accomodates this change. This may or may not be available through FactoryLink.

Good Luck. Sometimes migration is the only course of action, and it seems like in this case the HW is good, as is your network plan with the gateway.....but FactoryLink would need to be replaced.

Even though the original path was pointed to RSLINX Via the DH+ driver, the new gateway would be pointing through the NEW Ethernet card, then to the DH+ networks. (This is how your gateway will be configured)
Based on this change, you will need a seperate newer driver that accomodates this change. This may or may not be available through FactoryLink.

Good Luck. Sometimes migration is the only course of action, and it seems like in this case the HW is good, as is your network plan with the gateway.....but FactoryLink would need to be replaced.

RSLinx is on the same box as the FactoryLink software. I don't see why anything would change in FactoryLink because it would still be communicating with RSlinx in the same manner, no? Maybe I'm just not understanding anuyhing?

We have submitted a proposal to replace FactoryLink, but we need to do this in the interim.

Thanks.