FT View ME - Alarm Tags

specialkc

Hi All, is there any easy way to accomplish a mass import of alarm tags into a FT View ME application. So far all I can see is an XML export which isn't very streamlined. I would have to do an XML export, copy into notepad, import into excel and reverse the process to get the tags into the application. Is there an easier way to do this or a direct/intuitive way to edit the XML file that FT studio spits out??

Thanks

Have you tried the (cumbersome) "Tag Import / Export Wizard" ? It's a separate application, but should be found under the FTView|Tools menu in the start menu, or as an actual tool on the FTView Studio editor if it was installed with it.

It's still cumbersome, but better then dealing with the raw xml.

I have used that utility before, but not sure it will work with the alarm tags as it references the .med file in the ME application? Unless I am missing something, I am specifically referring to the alarms tags in the alarm configuration in ME.

Oh, the intolerable alarm editor, which wonderfully is based off of a '1' index, and doesn't allow for any structure? or copy paste? or, well, anything?

Nope. No luck for you, sorry. FTView ME should have been killed off years ago.

Rdrast said:
Don't forget the mandatory reboots, inevitable crashing, and the inability to generate a runtime anyway.
. . .
Nope. No luck for you, sorry. FTView ME should have been killed off years ago.

Hey RdRast, here's a new factory talk view quote for you. That quote in your signature wasn't my worst work, but this one is more “me”:

“FactoryTalk View should ship with a coupon for a 1.75 liter bottle of Seagram's 7 Crown American Whiskey, and a 40oz. speaker magnet.” OkiePC

Sometimes I just come straight home and start drinkin'...

Yes, the magnet needs a label:

Quick Uninstall
1.Attach magnet to PC hard drive case.
2.Wait five minutes.
3.Install new hard drive and OS.

Oh, the intolerable alarm editor, which wonderfully is based off of a '1' index, and doesn't allow for any structure? or copy paste? or, well, anything?

Hahaha...that '1' index is a pain in the butt. I don't know why they did it that way.

I've never figured out the import of alarm tags but you can try the following.
If you have a list of alarms messages in Excel or text file, you can copy the messages and paste into the alarm setup message column and it will actually copy one message per alarm row. Just select the first cell under the message column, right click, and click on paste. To go further, if you separate out the triggers, trigger values and messages into separate Excel columns and then paste into the first trigger cell, they will actually paste correctly into separate rows and columns. BTW, this works with version 5.0. I haven't tried on the lower versions.

FTView ME should have been killed off years ago.

They should actually keep this this package separate from SE, prune all the unnecesary craps, and makes it lean and mean. There are some handy features that aren't found in PB32. With some of the earlier version, I made the mistake of installing SE along with ME it loads a ton of services and boot time were in the minutes. Sorry if you have to use SE.

“FactoryTalk View should ship with a coupon for a 1.75 liter bottle of Seagram's 7 Crown American Whiskey, and a 40oz. speaker magnet.” OkiePC

For all of the marketing dumped at FTView SE, ME, Studio, ViewPointAndShootSelf, Hystericalorion, DisadVantagePoint, CrashMetrics, and the lot, you would really think that Rockwell would actually try to make the things work.

I've spoken with numerous folk at Rockwell, at various TechEd and Automation Fair thingies, to my regional support people, and local distributors about usability, stability, and other issues. Even giving demonstrations when possible.

Nothing has changed (except increasing system resource usage, decreasing stability, and frustrating developers more), Nothing has been fixed.

It's actually gotten to be so much of a joke to me, that I don't even consider any more trips to the Automation Fairs or TechEd.

o_O

We really need the :deadhorse: smiley when discussing this OkiePC. Too bad yer not local, I'd invitch yer ovah' fer some adult beverages and comisseratin'.

I've never figured out the import of alarm tags but you can try the following.
If you have a list of alarms messages in Excel or text file, you can copy the messages and paste into the alarm setup message column and it will actually copy one message per alarm row. Just select the first cell under the message column, right click, and click on paste. To go further, if you separate out the triggers, trigger values and messages into separate Excel columns and then paste into the first trigger cell, they will actually paste correctly into separate rows and columns.

The import of alarm messages is the reverse of the above - provided that you have configured the alarm trigger tags first.

We normally program in a few alarm trigger tags and then alarm messages to get the correct format - then copy & paste the alarm messages to an excel file - then add additional messages within excel (using the concatenate function, etc), then cross our fingers & import them back into ME.

If need be, I can do screen shots at a later time, just not tonight 🍻

Attached is the Excel spreadsheet that I use to create all my alarm tags.
I was going to crop it down, but then i'd mess up trigger numbers, etc.

After this I copy the 1st tab into Word, Change the table to text. Saveas txt file. Rename the *.txt to *.xml then import to FTView ME. Total pain, but it works.

Hope it helps

Thanks gents! I did this long ago but forgot how it was done, always test right-click! Excel copy-paste is very slick for this. Just make sure you have the triggers configured before the message pasting!