CompactFlash Card

RafaCerda83

Hi, I´m looking for some evidence I have ControlLogix5000 I´m trying to download into it a program of 10 MB the problem is that it´s hard drive is just of 2 MB so I tried to insert a CompactFlash of 32 MB. Does anyone knows how to do this or if it is possible?

ControlLogix controllers do not have "hard drives" as such; the memory capacity of the controller is the user RAM. The 1756-L61, for example, has 2 MB of user memory.

The *.ACD file has all the description and cross reference text in it as well; it is not indicative of the size of the controller program.

In RSLogix 5000, go to the Controller Properties and select the Memory tab. The software will estimate how much program and data memory the current user program will use in the controller.

Ken Roach:
Hi, in fact my controller is a 1756-L61 of 2 MB. I already estimate the program and data memory and as I wrote is like 9MB. So I tried to use the CF to save the program and the PLC can read it from there, hope you can help me or give me some information.
What I need is to download the information in the CF without downloading it in the Controller first and make the PLC to read the program from de CF.

So you are trying to get the program on the card as if a controller had written it?

What controller will the program eventually be in? L63 or larger?

You would most likely need to find someone with the controller that it will ultimately be loaded in. They would have to store it for you, then send you the files so you could put it on a flash card.

The ControlLogix works in conjunction with RSLogix 5000 to compile the control program during download. There is no offline compiler, so you cannot load the program directly onto a CompactFlash card.

Even if you could do so, the 9 MB program could not be loaded into a controller with a 2 MB memory.

You need at least a 1756-L64 (16 MB) or 1756-L65 (32 MB) controller to load a program that large.

The ControlLogix works in conjunction with RSLogix 5000 to compile the control program during download. There is no offline compiler, so you cannot load the program directly onto a CompactFlash card.

Even if you could do so, the 9 MB program could not be loaded into a controller with a 2 MB memory.

You need at least a 1756-L64 (16 MB) or 1756-L65 (32 MB) controller to load a program that large.

Ah, I guessed at the memory size. I couldn't remember off the top of my head.

Thank you

Ken Roach and Dmroader:
Thank you both for helping me to take a decision. Know I know I need to get a controller with more RAM. I want to ask you both know do you know anything about Inview? I´m having some problems I don´t know how we change the Inview IP and know we can not see it in the RSLinx