CLX 5550 1756-L1 - Firmware Rev 2.9?

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
All,

We took an old skidded piece of a equipment out of storage and there is a Logix5550 (1756-L1) on it.

I believe the program is still intact on the device and would like to see what I have to work with, rather than wipe it clean. However when I try to connect, it asks me to either update the firmware or get a version of Logix5000 that supports it.

The firmware revision is 2.9. I am not quite sure which version of Logix5000 I need to have. I have everything from V10 to V17.

Thanks.

There were actually a bunch of releases of RSLogix 5000 v2... the one that I settled on and used the most was version 2.51. It should support this processor.

All RSLogix 5000 versions prior to v10 had to be loaded separately on your computer, so you can have V10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17/18 plus one pre-V10 install.

Frankly I don't know if RSLogix 5000 v2 will run on Windows XP. You might need a Windows 2000 box or VM.

And of course you've seen that RSLogix 5000 v2 is not on the Software Updates website. It was released on CD in 1999, so the best way to find it will be to call an RA sales office with some old "RSRevs" CDs or from RA Tech Support.

I loaned my whole 1996-2007 archive of RSRevs CDs to an integrator three years ago and he promptly lost them all.

Thanks for the info Ken. I'll do some scouring around. I might be better off reprogramming the PLC but, it is interfacing with an HMI, so if I wipe the PLC there goes the panel.

Perhaps our distributor can hook us up.

how long has that system been "unplugged" in storage? ... most CLX batteries don't last very long - so you might not have a program in there at all ...

don't be misled by the processor's "OK" and "RUN" LEDs ... when you "keyswitch" it to Run, these will often both come on (green) even if there is no program in the processor ...

what is the Battery LED doing? ... and also how do the "OK" LEDs on the I/O modules behave when you "keyswitch" to the Run mode? ... if the I/O modules say "OK" but they FLASH (not steady) - then you probably don't have a program in there to worry about ... (basic idea: if the I/O modules FLASH in the Run mode, that usually means that they have no "owner" - probably because there's "nobody home" in the processor to tell them how to behave) ...

Last edited:
Hi,

Up until recently, one of our customers was using a 1756-L1 processor with version 8 firmware and we would connect to it via an old Windows NT machine.

When we tried to upgrade its firmware to something more recent, we found that we had to stop at version 13... Apparently the memory within the processor cannot handle any firmware later than version 13, as so much memory is required for the firmware itself.

So, from my experience, you could really only use this processor with pre version 13 firmware at best.

and one more question along the lines of "maybe there's no program in there anymore" ...

I can't explain why I didn't think of suggesting this before, but when you "see" the processor in RSLinx, does the processor's NAME show up - or just a generic-flavored model number? ... if there's no name, that's another nail in the coffin ...