Electrically gearing VFD's

wevie0037@

Greetings,

I have a machine with a SLC500 controlling a SEW Eurodrive Movitrac 31C VFD. There is a second 31C as a slave off of the master.

1.) The master sends an ENCODER signal to the slave
2.) The slave is geared to the ENCODER input from the master and watches its own encoder feedback.
3.) The slave is required to "home"
4.) The operator can bump the slave forward or backward in relation to the master during running.
5.) The motor is a simple 1hp induction motor with an encoder added on.

The slave drive malfunctioned and is no longer operational. There are none available and I'm told this model is discontinued. I would VERY much like to replace it with an AB unit.

I have a Powerflex70 with an encoder feedback card, but this doesn't help in following an encoder signal.

In my opinion, the PF70 is NOT the device I need here. I feel we need a servo motor and a motion drive such as an Ultra.

Signals to the slave:
Stop/Start from PLC
Encoder signal from master
Phase adjust forward and reverse from PLC

Signals from the slave:
Running/fault to PLC
Out of sync fault to PLC

Do you see any way to do this with a Powerflex? Keep in mind that the slave must accurately follow the master in order for the process to operate properly.